Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms > GK Suggestions
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 AM
I n t e l l i g e n c e
Spiker has a spectacular aura aboutSpiker has a spectacular aura about
Items with astronomically long names

Title says it all. Why are these even in the game. Why can't their names be cut down to size. For instance, instead of "ring of Descending Darkness (Str+4)(Dex+3)(Con+3)(Wis-1)(Pow-1)(speed +4)(resist magic +30)(Attuned: Creation)" why can't it just be "Ring of Descending Darkness". To me it just doesn't make sense, and there are a large amount of items in the game like this. The item names need to stay consistent.

I've noticed that "ring of War" (Which should have "Ring" capitalized) doesn't have the stats next to the name, but it does when you right click on it. There has to be a way to make the long named items just like this. If it is because of the mudlib, I can understand this, but I've seen new items come out that have never existed before without the super long name at the end of what the items is.

TL;DR: Fix long ass names for items, it is unnecessary. Also, stay constitant with item names. "ring of War" should be "Ring of War". "white star wizard hat" doesn't have a single capital. Rename it "White Star Wizard Hat".

These may seem petty to you guys, but lots of small issues together make a big issue. On top of updates for GK, the game should be refined as well.

Last edited by Spiker; 03-30-2014 at 07:23 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
Title says it all. Why are these even in the game. Why can't their names be cut down to size. For instance, instead of "ring of Descending Darkness (Str+4)(Dex+3)(Con+3)(Wis-1)(Pow-1)(speed +4)(resist magic +30)(Attuned: Creation)" why can't it just be "Ring of Descending Darkness". To me it just doesn't make sense, and there are a large amount of items in the game like this. The item names need to stay consistent.
I found the longest named ring in the game
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1303770400.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	55627  
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 AM
I n t e l l i g e n c e
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
I found the longest named ring in the game
Dat player list though
Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Elite Member
Torankusu is a jewel in the roughTorankusu is a jewel in the rough
While this was an issue back in 2001-2002 when the text based mudlib was first being introduced -- sloppily at that, there was limited access for editing existing things, and presumably still is. (I cannot confirm this, and it's likely this post will be deleted anyway.)

Had the systems in place been reproduced using something more appropriate for today's day-in-age (a decade after launch), such as SQLite, since it is now featured with most playerworlds, renovations such as this would have been easier done than said.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torankusu View Post
While this was an issue back in 2001-2002 when the text based mudlib was first being introduced -- sloppily at that, there was limited access for editing existing things, and presumably still is. (I cannot confirm this, and it's likely this post will be deleted anyway.)

Had the systems in place been reproduced using something more appropriate for today's day-in-age (a decade after launch), such as SQLite, since it is now featured with most playerworlds, renovations such as this would have been easier done than said.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the mudlib was still mostly coded in C and that Stefan was the only person with access to it.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that the mudlib was still mostly coded in C and that Stefan was the only person with access to it.
That's correct. However, the names being rendered on screen isn't affected by the mudlib.

That being said, I can't think of an elegant solution to the problem aside from line separations so that it doesn't flow over the edge of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torankusu View Post

We are trying to do the best with what we have available to us. The management of GK is cognizant that it's not perfect.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I n t e l l i g e n c e
I very much appreciate you mentioning that the Gk management team understands that the server isn't perfect. Really changes the way I think about the staff members (Not sarcasm).

The long names with no word wrap has really irritated me forever. Back when I had a 16 inch CRT computer monitor, I never had enough screen width to read all stats. Still an issue, because I feel it should wrap when it gets to a certain point, or even a popup window that tells stats. Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:01 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
2k2 has always been a ridiculous mess, but cutting down trees to craft war ships was an excellent concept.