Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Playerworld Staff Openings
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 AM
kingcj will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to kingcj
Server Idea : Looking for Staff

I have an idea for a server that I would like to share with the rest of the community and get feedback. If I feel that I have adequate staffing I would like to try and make the server, however I don't feel that the server will get past these forums. The server I would like to create would be economy based and I have attached my word document that is full of my ideas. I am unsure of how many staff members I would need, but I would like to have atleast 2 scripters, atleast 3 levels, a gani person, and a couple of graphic artists. If you like my ideas and would like to put this into action please feel free to contact me via forum PM or the best option would be to email me or add me on msn @ [email protected]. Thank you for your time and I look foward to hearing back from you.
Attached Files
File Type: txt serveridea.txt (17.0 KB, 218 views)

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." - W. Edwards Deming
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
There must be a system in place that keeps the player wanting to buy/get more
I'm interested in learning more about what that system is, apart from things like hats.

Looking through the document I see a few things that could be postponed until version 2.0, such as kingdoms and all the guild features that are more complicated than the default guild system. If you cut more features I think you could have a decent chance at ending up with a finished product, and maybe you could make the server yourself if you can't find anyone who has time to help out.
Apart from the quests I don't see much of a game, and if you're looking at making a sandbox game I think with a few additions you can make a lot more out of it.
I hope this helps as feedback.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Me.
RegretZ will become famous soon enough
I got bored reading about halfway X.X
Sorry, I don't have a huge attention span for that kinda stuff.
From what I read it sounded SLIGHTLY like Era without guns.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
I'm interested in learning more about what that system is, apart from things like hats.

Looking through the document I see a few things that could be postponed until version 2.0, such as kingdoms and all the guild features that are more complicated than the default guild system. If you cut more features I think you could have a decent chance at ending up with a finished product, and maybe you could make the server yourself if you can't find anyone who has time to help out.
Apart from the quests I don't see much of a game, and if you're looking at making a sandbox game I think with a few additions you can make a lot more out of it.
I hope this helps as feedback.
Yeah, your feedback helps and this document is intended to encompass everything that I would hope to get into the server however it isn't complete and that is why I want feedback. Further more I would like staff to contribute their own ideas. The piece about players wanting and buying more would end up being more items on the server so say you have a tailor system but only people who have fabric and red dye can make/wear red clothes, well if you like red you would want to get these items or pay a tailor himself to make the clothes for you. (Just an example off the top of my head).
I have a quest idea that i would like to incorporate into jobs. -> just one example -> Your mining and you run across a heart shaped ruby, this ruby would fit into a quest door and allow the player to enter the quest or if the player likes money more than questing he/she could sell it.
The best thing about snes Zelda was the questing (which was the entire game) and Graal is/was based off that game.

Last edited by kingcj; 01-02-2011 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot about questing answer
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegretZ View Post
I got bored reading about halfway X.X
Sorry, I don't have a huge attention span for that kinda stuff.
From what I read it sounded SLIGHTLY like Era without guns.
Yeah I dunno I played Era for maybe 5mins

Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Level Designer
N01ze is on a distinguished road
Sounds Awesome

Im a pretty good LAT, I could help :3
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 AM
Retired
SlikRick is on a distinguished road
Well I read what I could of your idea file, I got the same problem as RegretZ about the short attention span on text that just goes on and on. You do have some good ideas in there, but if you wish to start your own server from scratch you should simplify them, just temporarily, in order to be more realistic about getting your server completed and off the ground. If you set your sights too high the server will have a low chance of success, due to the complexity of the systems that will be required to properly manage them, let alone finding the people who have the ability to create them.

I did not like the example you gave about the fluctuating prices though. If everyday the shop owner is going to start out with a random amount of fish everyday and only buy up to its quota that will favor the players in the timezones where the reset happens when they are online, and pretty much screw the others that are on later in the day.
Don't get me wrong you are on the right track with having fluctuating prices in the shops, but I think a better way of going about it would be for the system to check how many have been bought since the last reset, lets say it resets everyday, and do prices accordingly. This way players can still sell their fish all day long. With doing it this way you can still have the fluctuating prices and can also attempt to prevent players from amassing huge amounts of wealth. I say try because there will always be a few that do have tons of money either by just busting their asses, or like some finding a glitch and exploiting the **** out of it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Me.
RegretZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
I did not like the example you gave about the fluctuating prices though.
I don't think I even got that far. X.X
If I read that correctly it does sound pretty cool though.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegretZ View Post
I don't think I even got that far. X.X
If I read that correctly it does sound pretty cool though.
I got as far as I could reading it in order, then I just read things that perked my interest and that was one of em.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
I did not like the example you gave about the fluctuating prices though..
It wouldn't be an actual day but a day on the server. So if there were 7 days on the server in 1 actual day there would be multiple opportunities everyday for the player to check the prices. Also just because the owner reaches his quota doesn't mean he won't buy the fish, the owner would simply buy it for lower than he would had he not met his quota. The flucuation of prices would occur becuase there would be a revolving door of items -> Example -> Restuarants/Pubs sell more fish, then the owners would need more fish, and the owner that buys the raw fish would have an increased quota. -> of course at first I wouldn't have them all tied together (it would just have to be a set of random numbers) but eventually if the server had a good enough playerbase they could be tied together and work.
The fluctuating prices would be a way for the player to supply all the owners of the server if the player looked for the best price.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Retired
That sounds like it is going to be extremely complicated to script, but best of luck with it and more power to you if you can pull it off.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Like I said, it would be a random set of numbers at first and if a scripter wanted to tackle it after we get most of the server going, he/she could.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps allocate points from Niche Appeal to Simplicity, you will sell more units and appeal to a broader crowd.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Perhaps allocate points from Niche Appeal to Simplicity, you will sell more units and appeal to a broader crowd.
Like I have stated previously in this thread, the document is suppose to be the end product (of my ideas), but there would be more to add which I would prefer input from the community. Any good staff member would want to know the direction of the server right? This isn't a niche its economics, simple supply and demand and allocation of resources, and using random integers for figures for the supply and demand wouldn't be hard at all -> random(min,max) right?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
but supply and demand isn't random... nobody produces more apples because there's more kids who want to play fireman.

edit: I want to be a fireman on your server.