Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Zone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Systems Being Worked On

I'm working on multiple systems at the same time so bare with me as I have outside obligations (such as college) that all come before this server. With that said, taking into account how busy my life has been lately, I've done quite a lot of stuff already on debug.

Superbikes

With superbikes, hoverbikes will now gain the ability to attach up to two weapons to them. When you enter a hoverbike you will be prompted with a notification on how to access the weapon attachment GUI, of which you can disable the notification from the GUI itself (as seen in the screenshot attached). From the weapon attachment GUI, there is a list of weapons that you can attach listed alphabetically, and you have customization to the point where you can choose to attach different weapons on each side of the bike (so you can have like a ghost rifle on the left side and a pumpkin rifle on the right). You can also unattach any weapons currently attached and you can move around with only one weapon attached if you would like. You fire the weapon(s) by pressing or holding the 'd' key.

Attaching weapons will cost you, though, since each of the attachable weapons has a set weight to them that will affect your speed. The type of weapon your have attached and the number of weapons attached (one, two, or none) will also have an affect on your speed. This affect on speed is felt when driving both forward and backward.

TODO: The GUI will probably be revamped before it's released to better the way it looks. Also, I'll probably make it so you can attach some sort of melee weapon to the front of the bike so that you can use it to crash into other players or bikes while dealing a high amount of damage.

Event Command

I added a command for the events team so that they can limit the number of weapon attachments allowed in a map (to either none, one, or two). When an events team member uses this command on a map, everyone in that map will be notified and if you're currently on a bike the system will kick you off it to update to the new mode. If you had more weapons attached than the new allowed limit, the system will automatically remove any extra weapons attached to meet the restriction.

Shields

Your health is going to be converted to a shield-type system where you still see your health in the top-right GUI, but now there will be a new GUI (the shield GUI) at the top-center of your screen that will work solely as an indicator. Basically, when you take damage, your new shield GUI will decrease in accordance to your health, and if your health reaches a critical point, it will begin to blink to let you know that your shields are low.

There will be a shield regeneration system which means that medkits and other healing items are likely going to be removed. How the regeneration system works is that when you are hit, a 10 second timer is applied to you that must expire before your shields begin to regenerate. If you are hit again before the 10 second timer expires, then a new 10-second timer will be added on to you (the times do not stack, so don't worry about having a timer greater than 10 seconds) and you will have to wait another full 10 seconds before your shields regenerate. If you go 10 seconds without taking any damage, your shields will regain by 10 points every second until either your health is full or until your hurt again since this will prompt the system to stop your shields from regenerating.

This update will alter gameplay greatly for obvious reasons, and effects such as poison will not stop your shields from regenerating (though it will still affect your speed).

TODO: I've scripted most of the system already, I just need to add some sort of way for players to see when another player is low in shields. Also, I asked Elk to make a nice GUI for the shield meter, so I'm still waiting on him for the finished product.

NOTE: It's possible that shield regeneration will be disabled in certain maps (such as the spar maps) to prevent matches from going on forever. This, I'm sure, will be discussed further once everything is done.

Dodging

This is mostly a job for the ganiers but I'm hoping to get one of our gani makers to make some dodge ganis so that I could script them into the movement system to add some versatility to gun fights. The dodging ganis would be some type of barrel rolls and side flips to make fighting more interesting.

Iricia Base Spawning

I haven't started on this yet but I hope to implement some sort of system where you can choose what base you wish to spawn on in Iricia as long as your team owns that base. Most players seem to want this and I think it's a pretty good idea so I figure I'll work on it.

Vote Kicking System

I made this system some years back but it was never released since Stefan had forgotten about it. I believe that I released a thread containing most of the details with the system so just search for it if you wish to read up on it but it's basically a system that will allow you to put up an action to kick a player from your team that will have to be approved by a majority of your teammates before the person is kicked.

Although the system is technically done I need to go back and rescript/restructure most of it since I made it at a time when I still had much to learn (still do, but I definitely know a lot more now than I did then).

Those are just some of the current things that I'm working on but other things are also being discussed that haven't really been finalized for release yet. I'm trying my best to keep you players informed so that you can all help steer Zone into the right direction with helpful suggestions, so feel free to give any thoughts or opinions on some of these updates or anything else that you would like to see added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superbikes.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	48758  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Finished
PaperMario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambet View Post
I'm working on multiple systems at the same time so bare with me as I have outside obligations (such as college) that all come before this server. With that said, taking into account how busy my life has been lately, I've done quite a lot of stuff already on debug.

Superbikes

With superbikes, hoverbikes will now gain the ability to attach up to two weapons to them. When you enter a hoverbike you will be prompted with a notification on how to access the weapon attachment GUI, of which you can disable the notification from the GUI itself (as seen in the screenshot attached). From the weapon attachment GUI, there is a list of weapons that you can attach listed alphabetically, and you have customization to the point where you can choose to attach different weapons on each side of the bike (so you can have like a ghost rifle on the left side and a pumpkin rifle on the right). You can also unattach any weapons currently attached and you can move around with only one weapon attached if you would like. You fire the weapon(s) by pressing or holding the 'd' key.

Attaching weapons will cost you, though, since each of the attachable weapons has a set weight to them that will affect your speed. The type of weapon your have attached and the number of weapons attached (one, two, or none) will also have an affect on your speed. This affect on speed is felt when driving both forward and backward.

TODO: The GUI will probably be revamped before it's released to better the way it looks. Also, I'll probably make it so you can attach some sort of melee weapon to the front of the bike so that you can use it to crash into other players or bikes while dealing a high amount of damage.

Sounds pretty cool, I like the idea.

Event Command

I added a command for the events team so that they can limit the number of weapon attachments allowed in a map (to either none, one, or two). When an events team member uses this command on a map, everyone in that map will be notified and if you're currently on a bike the system will kick you off it to update to the new mode. If you had more weapons attached than the new allowed limit, the system will automatically remove any extra weapons attached to meet the restriction.

Also a thumbs up

Shields

Your health is going to be converted to a shield-type system where you still see your health in the top-right GUI, but now there will be a new GUI (the shield GUI) at the top-center of your screen that will work solely as an indicator. Basically, when you take damage, your new shield GUI will decrease in accordance to your health, and if your health reaches a critical point, it will begin to blink to let you know that your shields are low.

There will be a shield regeneration system which means that medkits and other healing items are likely going to be removed. How the regeneration system works is that when you are hit, a 10 second timer is applied to you that must expire before your shields begin to regenerate. If you are hit again before the 10 second timer expires, then a new 10-second timer will be added on to you (the times do not stack, so don't worry about having a timer greater than 10 seconds) and you will have to wait another full 10 seconds before your shields regenerate. If you go 10 seconds without taking any damage, your shields will regain by 10 points every second until either your health is full or until your hurt again since this will prompt the system to stop your shields from regenerating.

This update will alter gameplay greatly for obvious reasons, and effects such as poison will not stop your shields from regenerating (though it will still affect your speed).

TODO: I've scripted most of the system already, I just need to add some sort of way for players to see when another player is low in shields. Also, I asked Elk to make a nice GUI for the shield meter, so I'm still waiting on him for the finished product.

NOTE: It's possible that shield regeneration will be disabled in certain maps (such as the spar maps) to prevent matches from going on forever. This, I'm sure, will be discussed further once everything is done.

I'm not liking that this is identical to Halo. Not a fan of the idea just because also, if you're playing with a low amount of players this could very well lead to extremely long battles between two people. Maybe i'm wrong though. I'm thinking Iricia when I think of this, but one thing for sure is that it needs to be disabled in spar. Are we doing this to have a more tactical approach to the game? If so we need to die faster..

Dodging

This is mostly a job for the ganiers but I'm hoping to get one of our gani makers to make some dodge ganis so that I could script them into the movement system to add some versatility to gun fights. The dodging ganis would be some type of barrel rolls and side flips to make fighting more interesting.

Sounds pretty cool.
DO A BARREL ROLL! *pun*

Iricia Base Spawning

I haven't started on this yet but I hope to implement some sort of system where you can choose what base you wish to spawn on in Iricia as long as your team owns that base. Most players seem to want this and I think it's a pretty good idea so I figure I'll work on it.

Those are just some of the current things that I'm working on but other things are also being discussed that haven't really been finalized for release yet. I'm trying my best to keep you players informed so that you can all help steer Zone into the right direction with helpful suggestions, so feel free to give any thoughts or opinions on some of these updates or anything else that you would like to see added.

I'm liking most of the changes overall, just not a fan of the shields system. Great to see that Zone is being worked on though
Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMario View Post
I'm liking most of the changes overall, just not a fan of the shields system. Great to see that Zone is being worked on though
Updated the original post to include the vote kicking system, but yes, I did draw the idea from Halo. The thing is that Zone is a futuristic server but the fighting is done in the same style as modern servers (such as Era with the health system and such), so it's pretty important to change gameplay dynamics to something more futuristic to keep things interesting. Shielding would definitely fall under futuristic and would hopefully change gameplay enough to make fighting more fun and tactical.

Mind you, a 10 second timer is pretty long so it's not like you regain your shields immediately. Also, if you're hurt with even one bullet while your shields are regenerating they will immediately stop regenerating until you go another 10 seconds without getting hurt. This number is of course adjustable but it seems like it would work right.

Even Call of Duty and Gears of War use a type of health-regeneration system so it all falls under a similar category.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMario View Post
like halo
Someone has never played every single "recent gen" FPS ever.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
SomeOne
MiniOne is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MiniOne
Everything sounds great except the shield thing... that's going to make a lot of the way the game is played change.
I like the new ways of dodging sounds fun (:
Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Nobody can beat us.
RevolutionJS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RevolutionJS
I think that the shield idea can be very good, but it have to be tested very well first, just get 2 pros to test it and check their opinions.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
There is one more thing for the shields: It's planned that being hit/shot is not freezing you anymore. Instead of that the player will be slowed down for a very small moment.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Tenchry
Tenchry_P2P is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tenchry_P2P Send a message via MSN to Tenchry_P2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is one more thing for the shields: It's planned that being hit/shot is not freezing you anymore. Instead of that the player will be slowed down for a very small moment.

that sounds pretty stupid because 1 bullet on them they slow down, you're using a shotgun in example and you get 1 bullet on them, they're slowed you point blank em and they're still slowed, and you practically rape them with no skill intended.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Gani and GFX Creator
Minomato is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchry_P2P View Post
-. . . and you practically rape them with no skill intended.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. There should be different impact effects from weapons with more damage or different projectiles, if that's what you mean. If you shotgun someone in the face, (up close) they shouldn't be still standing, even with shields up. The target, if not dead, would fall over from the sheer force of impact. But of course, if you get nicked by a pellet, it'll hurt, but the stopping power from it is hardly sufficient enough to slow someone down. Possibly, if a target sustains heavy concentrated fire from a spread weapon, such as the shotgun, they will be frozen AND slowed momentarily after. See where I'm getting at? Point is, close quarter weapons will be more effective at a shorter range where the wielder can concentrate most of their fire at their target.

Off topic: Anyone else find it weird that the shotgun is a pump-action, but it fires two shots?

On topic: I don't like the shield idea, but perhaps it could be applied to vehicles instead. And for dodging, that idea sounds interesting, but then we'd need some sort of limit as to how much a player can perform such quick evasive movements. Dodging would make melee weapons more useful on the battlefield, but the problem is that if everyone's able to dodge using any weapon, it'd turn into "Ninja Space Battles." Perhaps the concept of dodging is best suited for weapons with low weight and of smaller size and less bulk.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Make a Plasma / Sticky Grenade, it was pretty much the main reason I played Halo. Might be a little difficult to perform a 2D plain like Graal though.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Finished
PaperMario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Someone has never played every single "recent gen" FPS ever.
o_O. I have played pretty much every single recent FPS, you name it. COD4, Gears, i've played it all. Halo was just the reference that I had to shields. Don't assume that i've never played another FPS.

Mind you I miss the old FPS where there wasn't a regeneration system. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy COD, Gears and Halo quite a bit, but I miss the old stuff like Team Fortress ..I suppose that's why TF2 is fun for me xD.

I suppose I should've referred to COD and Gears as well. And reading Stefan's post, being slowed down for a little sounds better. Hopefully this works out better than I imagine it will.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Zone Rank : God
pico57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to pico57
finnaly we got someone who work well on Zone
=D
i like Gambet's thingy
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
regeneration = do not want

rest is pretty sweet
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
dusk
Donark has a spectacular aura about
Do you plan on releasing these one at a time, or all at the same time?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchry_P2P View Post
that sounds pretty stupid because 1 bullet on them they slow down, you're using a shotgun in example and you get 1 bullet on them, they're slowed you point blank em and they're still slowed, and you practically rape them with no skill intended.
The thing is right now you cannot move at all, so that someone can shoot at you and you don't have a way to defend yourself. The new system will just slow you down for 0.5 - 1 second but not freeze.