Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:33 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Era News.

I've been thinking about it a bit and I think some kind of era newspaper needs to be brought back after the reset. It should be brought back because an original one of a kind business would help to make era more in depth and Interesting. It would also serve a purpose by informing the players and providing an entertaining read. It's most important function however would be to inform the players on what development staff are working on, what has been completed recently and what is being planed for the future.

This business needs to be given to a normal player. (Who has obviously proven himself in his writing ability). But because it would be run by a player the business system needs to be pretty user friendly. I'm not sure how it worked before but the whole creation of each newspaper needs to be done completely in game. I suggest making a format/layout GUI of a newspaper page. The Era News writers would be able to access this layout GUI in game and simply put an article in the designated text column section, and pictures in picture designated sections.

You could use the old Format/GUI as an example:
This will help you understand what I mean...

So the Era news people would be able to access this GUI by grabbing a typewriter in the era news office. The GUI would be blank (no text or pictures in it). And the era news people would simply type an article in the text columns and put pictures in the boxes for pictures... Very Simple and easy to use.

Photographers
Now I was thinking for the pictures in the newspaper it should be done by Era News "photographers", in game. Photographers would have a camera item. And basically when you have the camera equipped a little red box will appear in the center of your screen, about 3'' long by 2'' hight. when you press D anything within this box will be captured in your screen shot/picture. The size of screen shots the camera takes should be in accordance with how big the picture boxes are in the newspaper GUI. Era News workers would be able to access these pictures in their office, and easily be able to pick which pictures go in which boxes in the GUI.

The newspapers would have to be stocked somehow to actually create the item. Some kind of printing press that involves a conveyor belt would be preferable but it doesn't really matter. Then after stocking I think they should be sold in a few newspaper vending machines around the city.

There should also be a system setup to make sure the newspaper owner keeps putting out quality papers, and doesn't go idle. My idea is to heavily tax the owner of the business once every 2 weeks or so. To insure that if he's not making any money, he wouldn't be able to pay his business tax and would be forced to sell the business. The idea is that if he's doing his job properly and writing quality papers he should be making enough money to pay for his taxes. I would also put a script in place that automatically puts the business up for sale if there hasn't been a newspaper released in the past 3-4 weeks.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Lv
DarkRenji is a jewel in the roughDarkRenji is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to DarkRenji
Yes I will become a photographer and change my name to frank west, from there i will cover storys ranging from Wars, to zombie outbreaks... No need to thank me!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchez416 View Post
(Who has obviously proven Herself in her writing ability).
Fixed .

And there has been discussion about this, just read the comments on my first edition of ~Era News~. I heard it is readdy but for some reason they haven't uploaded it yet. maybe they're waiting for the reset?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRenji View Post
Yes I will become a photographer and change my name to frank west, from there i will cover storys ranging from Wars, to zombie outbreaks... No need to thank me!
Since I wanted everything to do with the newspaper creation to be done in game, I had to think of a way to do the pictures in game. without having to actually take a screen shot, which would require going out of game.
I think its a pretty neat idea... not sure how possible it would be, scripting wise. I'm waiting for a scripters opinion.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 AM
UnKnown Confusion
Vman13x can only hope to improve
personally i just like the forums era news,i remember when era news first came out and honestly it died very fast so lets just keep this forums era news,i know a lot of era people dont read the fourms but im sure if we advertise it will work out.