View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I personally think the common definition of "classic style servers" has been a misconception for a long time, and such I use the term "traditional style servers".

Traditional sword combat type activity has not fallen out of favour, for many still the simplisticness of it is just as fun if not more so than the level or weapon based combat new players are more familiar with.
There are 2 main reasons traditional servers have become a dying breed:
  1. Traditional servers did not differentiate much due to the developmental circumstances of the time.
  2. The overall Graal population was much higher, Graal was still transitioning from a free game to P2P.

To put it simply, traditional servers were in abundance, as the overall Graal population then lowered it was no longer viable for them all to remain populated. This also coincided with server development becoming more technically sophisticated, which meant these servers needed to adapt to the new scripting procedures or be left in the dust.

The problem faced with the more traditional type of server in future, is that it's going to be difficult for them all to prosper by offering the exact same thing. Particularly now that PC Graal is (supposed to be) transitioning even more towards a micro-transactions model, it's important that any server offers a certain level of uniqueness if it's to have any hope of being possible to play for free, and then actually be able to pull in new players significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loakey_P2P View Post
^ this . on a side note I'd be interested to see if Thor is going to have event's on it as i don't remember ever seeing any .
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A38CABEDA610450

It was actually quite early in Classic's redevelopment I made a 'Team Events System', which is basically to handle all the core team controls and then easily and quickly apply it to any team event, such as CTF, without re-inventing the wheel each time.
In the space of just 2 days I was able to remake King of the Mountain in both a large and (never properly implemented in the past) small mode. This "cop out" is turning out to be quite handy.