View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 02:39 AM
ZER0_H0UR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZER0_H0UR
Exclamation Tutorial on converting BMPs to transparent GIFS, and more!

Ok, since I've worked on a few major servers people have been saying to me "Zero Hour! I have these images, and heads I want uploaded, will you?" and, naturally I say "Certainley!" and when I get the files I realize they're BMPs, and they're not transparent, so like the kind fellow I am I convert them to PNG's for them (or GIF) and upload them.

Well, from today forth I will no more. From today forth I will link them to this, and if they're too lazy to read, and understand such a simple concept, then they do not deserve their heads, in real life!

I figured this could help New people to the art of Computer Graphics, aswell! So here you are folks, enjoy this.

----------------------------------------------------------------

First you will need a program to convert your BMPs to GIF, and to add your transparencies; so here it is! If this doesn't work, just take a short stroll to goolge and search for Animagic.

Once you have the program, either by the means I provided, or others on your own will, then you will need to learn how to do the basics! And I'm nice enough to show you how to do that aswell!

Opening your file!

Woa, hold 'er up there Sparky, you're going to need to OPEN a file before you can make a GIF! Ok, go to "File>open" and a open dialogue should appear; after it does select the file top you're opening from the bottom of the dialogue, then find the file you want to open in the directory of your choice.

Selecting your transparency!

Well, you may want to make a transparency in your file, so I'll cover that here

go to "Animation>Transparent Color" then use the dropper to select the color you want to be transparent either from the image itself, or the color box on the side, the right side.

Unfortunatley it looks like you can only select ONE color, that's your program, not mine.

Saving your file!

After you have completed the above steps you can save your file. go to "File>save as" (I suggest "save as" because "save" can make some confusion, trust me.) then select the directory in which you choose to save it, then create a clear, understandable, and easilty recognizable file name, and click "save"... well bucko, you're done, and so am I, so get lost!
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy_McGee
KK fien, but, i am no troll
*Goes back to his little stool under a bridge, just incase any sheep come along*