View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Leveling Style: "Proportional Realism"

A while back, I decided to put an idea I had for a while into practice. Buildings on Graal are predominantly larger on the inside than their outside counterparts would suggest. A few places on Unholy Nation had images that would fade away revealing an inside that was the same size as the outside (without a level warp). Putting these two facts together, I whipped up an outside level and linked it with an inside made by Brutus. The result was two levels with an interesting level transition effect and perfect proportionality (1:1) between inside and outside. For now, I've decided to call this effect and proportionality "Proportional Realism."

The two levels, including all images used in each, are attached to this post.

I'd like anyone interested to take a look at them. To experience the effect, you must test the levels in the offline editor's Play feature (to my knowledge, I believe Gonstruct does not have this feature so you may to use the default level editor). To avoid getting stuck, open brutus_inside.nw, play, and exit the level to begin to view the effect.

The outside of the building was built directly off of a copy of the inside. A roof was placed to cover everything while the windows and walls remained the same. I detailed the rest of the outside according to my style.

A couple notes:
1. I don't, in any way, take credit for the inside level. Brutus made the inside level entirely. I have edited some NPC images with my own images, but that is the extent of my work on that level. Brutus deserves all credit for the inside.
2. A number of my own images are used in both levels. I think I included all images used in the zip folder along with the levels, but there is a chance I missed some. Let me know if any images do not display properly or at all.

I will welcome constructive feedback on this leveling style. Remember to reply or PM me if you have any questions or issues with the attached files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vega_Proportional_Realism.zip (26.8 KB, 346 views)