View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
Stefan didn't actually do much on the iOS servers- I did the majority of the content on both Ol' West and Zone; I don't believe this is the reason why iOS server's aren't being pushed. If a server is wanting to progress to iOS I suggest they contact the PWA? That's how it's always been and to my knowledge hasn't changed.
It was Stefan and Unixmad who set the target of releasing iZone and Ol'West was it not? PWA also have no influence over mobile Graal with the exception of there being a management void.

Quote:
You missed my point- Staff can design using PC and the iOS players can watch using their device. We use TWITCH a lot on iEra to promote development. I'm pretty sure every player with more than 100~ hours are aware it's a community driven project.
I didn't miss your point, I disagreed with it. You said it shouldn't be advertised as a platform you can play on, whereas I believe it should be advertised as a platform that you can both play and develop on.

Quote:
Why would Graal as a company invest time in a product that isn't their main platform? I agree it could be a lot better - but what's the point when we've proven that the iOS servers are performing 1000's times better.

As mentioned previously- I'd push PC to more a development environment used to create the iOS worlds.
As I alluded to before, this all goes hand-in-hand with eachother. The primary source of real developmental prowess on mobile Graal consists largely of developers who originated on PC Graal, who've all been around at a time where their work can have an immediate influence on a live server that already has players.

It's already well established that very few developers have the desire, stamina and ability to stick with an entirely new project long enough for it to become complete, particularly as without there being players readily available to appreciate it that it can be a drain on one's motivation. By killing PC Graal off as a game this will only become even more of a challenge. With there being no examples of successful iOS projects that weren't officially endorsed to begin with, where is the incentive coming from?

Not to mention the PC platform is more easily capable of providing richer quality content, should Graal not be trying to improve itself in terms of gameplay? Then there's the fact that some players prefer being part of a tighter-knit community. If PlayerWorlds can be launched on Facebook/Web, Graal can reap the rewards of both worlds.

Would it also not be a bad idea to support PC Graal as a game in order to use it as a stepping-stone for future iOS servers?

Quote:
Let's look at this realistically- you've not been contacted in 18 months regarding a release, it's not going to happen in it's current state.
You're assuming the reason for the communication breakdown has something to do with the state of the server, in which case why don't they put a solid argument forward or attempt to negotiate a compromise? The fact that they are hiding from discussion instead of trying to sort it out like any responsible manager would suggests there is an ulterior motive.

Quote:
However, from a company point of view why would they release a Classic clone to confuse the young players?

I hate to say it to you because I think you've put a lot of dedication and effort in to GtA- but if you aren't going to change it to a server that's not similar to Classic... it won't get released; You need to make the decision to change or let it go. I know if I was a company manager I wouldn't invest time in to a project that is a replica of an existing product. Sorry if this offends you.
This is where a blind eye is being turned. Why would we want to change a server when ~99% of players that have spent more than 5 minutes on it agree that it is much different?
  • The quests are unique and have been referred to as numerous respected members of the community as the best quests that have been developed on Graal. If you look at what we've accomplished despite being stifled all these years, imagine what we could accomplish if we were actually supported?
  • It may not necessarily be everyone's "cup of tea", but there is a storyline and clear provision of in-game direction
  • A lot of events are either not feasible on mobile Graal, are less watered-down, or are using unique systems. To highlight one in particular, even GtA's pre-wipe Capture the Flag was commonly referred to as "the best CTF on Graal", it was arguably the last thing keeping pre-wipe Classic alive, there were many memorable nights where hardcore players would stay up late purely to participate in CTF nights. Our CTF has been revamped since then, whereas CTF no longer exists on iClassic
  • There is the Trading Card Game which is not only unique, but a potential resource for micro-transactions
  • Our Local Guilds system includes a Guild Point currency and Guild Award shop, some of the awards again being fairly unique on Graal. Apparently iClassic are now developing a new guilds system to work in a similar way, but then it's a format that makes complete sense
  • The Gelat economy works totally different, it can't even be called an economy on GtA. Instead Gelats are gradually acquired through questing/exploration/tasks, and you are then able to replenish them up to the total amount you have unlocked

Or should everyone just pretend it's the same because it has a similar tileset and similar core levels and you slash swords? Would be extremely shallow.