View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
It was Unixmad that sets the targets. Stefan oversaw the development and scripted the serverlister.
Well then, my point remains.

Quote:
Why would it become more of a challenge? I've seen lots of iOS people learn all Graal Development. iEra, Ol West and Zone didn't just stop being developed when Stefan left. Stefan was never involved in the content of the servers- more the maintenance and security; All these servers are successful iOS projects as every one of them is being developed by a team of people brought together by the community. The iOS servers are proof that the Development wouldn't stop and PC servers aren't giving any incentive to develop.
For every developer that has remained exclusive to the mobile servers, there are a lot who have jumped back and forth between the platforms. I never said that iOS development would stop if PC Graal was killed off as a game, but the pathways would be reduced and unless you're one of the privileged few able to work on an officially endorsed project, there is virtually no guarantee of being able to have a significant number of players experience your work.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean with the richer quality content on the PC platform. What do you mean by this? iOS servers can't produce the same quality of content as a PC server? If so- why? If not please elaborate
I didn't say that iOS can't produce the same quality, I said that it is less simple. This is largely owed to the technical capabilities of devices, but then you can also factor in aspects such as screen sizes, the requirement for instancing on a mass-player environment, the ability to use keypad etc.

Quote:
As mentioned, I'm looking at it from a realistic point of view- I wouldn't release a server that's similar to Classic but has a story behind it; I'd want something new to release to players. I wouldn't invest any time in to it. If anything, I'd poach you in to helping Classic.

I hate to be a ****, but I'm pointing out the facts from the list above. Classic has quests. Classic has Events. Classic has unique games. Classic has a guild system. The difference between Classic and GtA is a story.
It is highly complacent to make such simplistic comparisons. Even though the servers share some taxonomies of content, the difference in terms of actual gameplay varies highly. If you truly wanted to release something new to players, you would see that GtA offers that already.

Quote:
Why couldn't you implement the GtA events, games and quests on to Classic?
Technical reasons. GtA is developed using 100% custom systems, with there being a lot of functionality that is simply not possible to accomplish with built-in systems.

Quote:
Sorry if this offends
No offense taken, but I do suspect you may be deliberately down-playing the differences between the servers to better suit your arguments. In your defense perhaps there is a lot more in common between the two Era servers, and apparently they have faced similar hurdles.