View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:18 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
BotW didn't challenge me the way I expected from a Zelda game. Even before the release, the whole shrine concept was criticized, but back then I still thought that Nintendo could pull it off by making lots of different and challenging shrines. But they didn't. I don't know how many exactly, but way too many shrines are "combat trial" shrines or "hey cool you found me have this chest" shrines, and that was just such a huge letdown. The majority of all the other shrines are also piss easy or super short or both
I agree with this criticism and find it valid, but most critics of this game actually argued that it was too hard. I agree with you but this is a common criticism I have of the entirety of modern gaming and I don't think BOTW has as much of an issue with difficulty balancing as most games. It would be unfair to single this game out for being too easy when I loved GTAV and it was ten times easier. I would have to generalize that I would like to see the difficulty increase in all of AAA gaming.

There are very few games I can think of that provide an adequate level of challenge that I like. Sonic 2 really nails it for me. Most Mario and Zelda games are too easy, that has sort of been a staple of both series.

The criticisms that kia made are the exact criticisms that people make when they have never played the game before, however. "Tacked on and shallow food crafting" -- freudian slip that he either did not play the game or went in specifically with a negative expectation. That is known as confirmation bias. If his favorite Graal server had a food crafting system as good as BOTW, he would be praising it.