View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 04:48 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Cool but it still bites from all of them in totally shallow ways.

More "exploration" which is really just in open world with like 75% of the locations being pointless, just like Skyrim.

CLIMB TOWER TO MAP (also jump off)

An even more simplified version of Souls dodge/counter combat - with, what, five, maybe six kinds of enemy?

BUT IT'S #OPENWORLD

A very shallow and tacked on food crafting gimmick

A very shallow and tacked on weapon durability and upgrade gimmick

BOTW is a fine game but it's overrated as **** and a lot of its flaws/shallow bits were things that the revolutionary and always pioneering Nintendo borrowed from other properties.
Pretty much this, but let me expand on that: BotW didn't challenge me the way I expected from a Zelda game. Even before the release, the whole shrine concept was criticized, but back then I still thought that Nintendo could pull it off by making lots of different and challenging shrines. But they didn't. I don't know how many exactly, but way too many shrines are "combat trial" shrines or "hey cool you found me have this chest" shrines, and that was just such a huge letdown. The majority of all the other shrines are also piss easy or super short or both. I wanted so much more and got nothing. The Divine Beasts were interesting, but executed poorly in my opinion. Most of the fights also weren't challenging at all.

And then, what pissed me off super hard (heh): the "hard" mode DLC. I expected tougher AI, bosses with more phases. My naive, childlike mind hoped for 120 entirely new shrines. But, well.. you know how that turned out.

But even with all that, I thoroughly enjoyed BotW. I just wish I could've enjoyed it even more.