View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
As much as I hate your useless bloatty addition requests, this one isn't that bad. However I would have to ask for a few things differently.

player.guilds[] shouldn't exist, it would definitely bloat the hell out of the player object.

Perhaps a player.getActiveGuilds() function that returns an array of integers (IDs) of which the player is in, and can be accessed by using guilds[ID]

Also, of course, all of these variables would have to be read-only. Nothing should be modified in the guild database unless it is someone with the correct credentials to do so. I would feel a little uneasy if I logged on a server and some script was modifying my global guild.

One more thing: Guilds should not have clientside 'client.' variables. All variables added via script should be completely serverside. That would be a hell of a lot of information the server would have to send (and update) if all the guilds had clientside variables associated with them.
Well, the player.guilds list idea is more so I could script deterrents to multi-guilding that don't restrict the player, but instead the guild. If guilds had advantages that could be inflicted by having multi-guilders, they'd probably discourage it more.

I guess it would make sense not to have client.vars, but clientr.vars would be important as well as regular flag vars, and of course all of the other vars you would want to be read-only (and readable both clientside/serverside).