View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
The idea is there, but you're still working within the confines of Graal itself. The only donators who would be interested I feel are Graalians, which is a very limited demographic. Then besides that the only fields of development where you can pay to get stuff done are the artistic fields, like graphics and music. Scripts will be very important to get anything decent accomplished, and there are only a few of those left(in my opinion, of any skill level that would warrant being paid). You could have a very artistically beautiful game, with awesome graphics and a wonderful soundtrack... but what's the point if the server is scripted poorly/has poor gameplay?

I mean, money can only get you so far and Graal is a VERY close-knit community. If people donate and then the product isn't satisfactory then it will ripple on forever. First off, donators will somehow feel entitled to a decent product since there is money involved(and they would be wrong), and second the first kickstarter results could effect anyones willingness to donate for future kickstarters related to Graal, even if it's being handled by someone much more capable. Also note that most developers on Graal don't script fulltime like you would find with programmers. Their time is often limited, and money can't fix that(especially if they have obligations with school/work, like many do).

It's an iffy thing, in my opinion. Also as it's been noted, Graal's structure(with Stefan and Unixmad) doesn't really help at all. But for an entirely different game? Most definitely, you're breaking away from a niche setting and gaining much more possibilities of being able to hire programmers from many different places and so on. However this would end up being much more work so it's a pro/con sort of thing.