View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 04:55 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
It was Stefan and Unixmad who set the target of releasing iZone and Ol'West was it not? PWA also have no influence over mobile Graal with the exception of there being a management void.
It was Unixmad that sets the targets. Stefan oversaw the development and scripted the serverlister.

Quote:
As I alluded to before, this all goes hand-in-hand with eachother. The primary source of real developmental prowess on mobile Graal consists largely of developers who originated on PC Graal, who've all been around at a time where their work can have an immediate influence on a live server that already has players.

It's already well established that very few developers have the desire, stamina and ability to stick with an entirely new project long enough for it to become complete, particularly as without there being players readily available to appreciate it that it can be a drain on one's motivation. By killing PC Graal off as a game this will only become even more of a challenge. With there being no examples of successful iOS projects that weren't officially endorsed to begin with, where is the incentive coming from?

Not to mention the PC platform is more easily capable of providing richer quality content, should Graal not be trying to improve itself in terms of gameplay? Then there's the fact that some players prefer being part of a tighter-knit community. If PlayerWorlds can be launched on Facebook/Web, Graal can reap the rewards of both worlds.
Why would it become more of a challenge? I've seen lots of iOS people learn all Graal Development. iEra, Ol West and Zone didn't just stop being developed when Stefan left. Stefan was never involved in the content of the servers- more the maintenance and security; All these servers are successful iOS projects as every one of them is being developed by a team of people brought together by the community. The iOS servers are proof that the Development wouldn't stop and PC servers aren't giving any incentive to develop.

I'm not sure what you mean with the richer quality content on the PC platform. What do you mean by this? iOS servers can't produce the same quality of content as a PC server? If so- why? If not please elaborate.

Quote:
You're assuming the reason for the communication breakdown has something to do with the state of the server, in which case why don't they put a solid argument forward or attempt to negotiate a compromise? The fact that they are hiding from discussion instead of trying to sort it out like any responsible manager would suggests there is an ulterior motive.

This is where a blind eye is being turned. Why would we want to change a server when ~99% of players that have spent more than 5 minutes on it agree that it is much different?
  • The quests are unique and have been referred to as numerous respected members of the community as the best quests that have been developed on Graal. If you look at what we've accomplished despite being stifled all these years, imagine what we could accomplish if we were actually supported?
  • It may not necessarily be everyone's "cup of tea", but there is a storyline and clear provision of in-game direction
  • A lot of events are either not feasible on mobile Graal, are less watered-down, or are using unique systems. To highlight one in particular, even GtA's pre-wipe Capture the Flag was commonly referred to as "the best CTF on Graal", it was arguably the last thing keeping pre-wipe Classic alive, there were many memorable nights where hardcore players would stay up late purely to participate in CTF nights. Our CTF has been revamped since then, whereas CTF no longer exists on iClassic
  • There is the Trading Card Game which is not only unique, but a potential resource for micro-transactions
  • Our Local Guilds system includes a Guild Point currency and Guild Award shop, some of the awards again being fairly unique on Graal. Apparently iClassic are now developing a new guilds system to work in a similar way, but then it's a format that makes complete sense
  • The Gelat economy works totally different, it can't even be called an economy on GtA. Instead Gelats are gradually acquired through questing/exploration/tasks, and you are then able to replenish them up to the total amount you have unlocked

Or should everyone just pretend it's the same because it has a similar tileset and similar core levels and you slash swords? Would be extremely shallow.
As mentioned, I'm looking at it from a realistic point of view- I wouldn't release a server that's similar to Classic but has a story behind it; I'd want something new to release to players. I wouldn't invest any time in to it. If anything, I'd poach you in to helping Classic.

I hate to be a ****, but I'm pointing out the facts from the list above. Classic has quests. Classic has Events. Classic has unique games. Classic has a guild system. The difference between Classic and GtA is a story. Why couldn't you implement the GtA events, games and quests on to Classic? To me... there's not a big enough difference for me to invest in. Sorry if this offends.