Thread: Community Names
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Community names are a pain. As a scripter, the biggest problem I've run into is having to keep track of BOTH a player's account name AND their community name. For example, a guild system that displays a list of members will need to display community names because "Graal3453534, Graal345345, Graal345345" looks retarded.

What does this mean for me? My SQL table now has two columns, member_account, and member_cname. And my guild system is checking everytime a player logs on if their communityname has changed.

I've noticed that most servers have not bothered with this trouble and still use the account name for everything -- even simple chat commands (":kick account"). This is why player's hate community names. They're difficult for developers to work with, and in return, even more difficult for the players. A guild leader is not going to remember who "Graal542342" is and whether or not he needs to kick him. Logical solution in the guild leader's eyes? Don't recruit Graal# account noobs.

K.I.S.S. -- You're making it way too complicated for everyone with this stupid system.