Thread: Observations
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p_Sir_Link View Post
Why is it impossible to get a straight answer out of any upper tier staff member on Classic, when questioning development?

A few key points -

"It is impossible to convert the Old Stuff. It will take far too long and most of the players don't want it."

Well, given 2 years, next to nothing has been done. I'm sure if it had simply been a conversion of all the old material, we'd certainly have more quests, more overworld areas to explore, etc.

What I see here is the staff wanting to re-shape the server in their image. Don't tell me this is a lie, it is blatantly obvious. The levels are not past fixing to bring them to compliance, it just appears no one wants to do anything about it. Wow guys, remove setbackpals from the levels, add a clientside, and fix a few deprecated commands. The only conversion that should be difficult is weapon conversion, but I will misplace my faith for a moment and say Master Storm and the two Ravens can accomplish the conversion.

"Stefan doesn't want us to use the old stuff."

ORLY? How did Malinko manage to get him to say that the old stuff is acceptable, and all that had to be kicked to the street were default movement and hit detection?

"There was no plot to the old stuff, and adding one would be much to difficult."

Actually, it would be extremely easy. And look, there is no plot to the current Classic at the moment anyway. A very weak basis for argument.

Any other reasons Master Storm or others would like to throw as to why the old stuff cannot be used?
Kevin Kevin... you do not put misinterperated paraphrases in quotation marks, only things people have actually said. I have answered all these questions personally to people who asked, and on the UGCC, which you have read. Just because you are trying to make an image for yourself does not mean you have to stir up a mess.

I do not know what other reasons people have given for not converting the old stuff, but the one I give is this: It is merely outdated. Graal is capable of so much more now. Why spend the effort converting old levels, when you can take the concepts and stories and shed them in a greater light with a more polished look and feel, and adding better coding and a more interesting (eg? fun) story with it.

Sadly, I have not personally been around for the past two years, but ever since I took an affirmative step, I wrote a plot with an entire story, and all the quests and items connect. Not only that, Mr. IWhineLikeEveryoneElse, but the Staff on Classic have been working hard to bring it to life. There has been phenominal progress. To all that ask I answer whats up, but I have no reason to broadcast promises of whats to come, it just seems like a better idea to impress the people when it is done, ne?

To put it bluntly, imho, the old material sucks. Any idea that does not suck is just being recreated in a better form. It might have been logical if you raised this before, but for over a month there has been discussion on the progress. Do not choose to blatently ignore such things, crybaby.

With Love,
Hell Raven