View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
I understand now that you weren't trying to be offensive, I'm just saying that it was pretty easy to take it offensively based on the tone and content of the thread.

And I'm not current management or really even close to it, I'm a developer who has been around for a long time. I don't make any decisions as it is, other than what project I personally feel like working on at the time. I currently manage 0 people on Era (and can't even change rights, so I couldn't hire/fire someone if I wanted to). I more took it offensively because I've been positions like GBA before, where instead of doing visible work that people say "oh wow, he made ____," I was doing things constantly behind the scenes. It was always "This broke, fix it" or "This guy went inactive, replace him as leader." That's the kind of position management is in, and it gives everyone an automatic bad reputation when all you do is keep things normal (and never get to give that new thing). It just feels ridiculous to me when players who aren't on RC and actually being led by the manager complain about them. It isn't really their job at that level to be a popular guy with the people.

Maybe what we need is a revamped Player Services department. Have a "PSA" again (Player Services Admin) that would be elected by players. He can manage the directly player-impacting side of the house (like gang administration, PRAs, ETAs, etc), while a "Development Manager" helps make new stuff. The Development Manager can continue to be selected solely by the PWA. Obviously they could overrule the choice of PSA as well, but it would be "rule of thumb" to go with the player's choice except in extraordinary circumstances. It would be a win-win in my eyes.