View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
I don't even think the default settings are bad, but again all I really want out of Graal at this point is a classic styled server focused on guilds sparring and PKing in a nurturing environment for that sort of thing to be taken seriously. The systems that have been suggested in the past like capturing towns or even simple one leveled PK to a certain number type are either to complicated for their own good (and never come out) or are so simple that they don't even utilize all of the default system's potential.

I've always failed to appreciate the more complicated servers like Era, Zodiac, Zone, Kingdoms to a certain extent, and others who deviate so much from the default AlttP systems. UN being the last classic styled server out there just makes my personal outlook on playing Graal seem so grim. I'll never get to play on an improved version of my dream classic world.

I think I have a better understanding of why scripters go for such complication now though. It's not only grand ideas, but poor mechanics to create those grand ideas. I feel sorrow for anyone new trying to learn gscript, but also a sense of yearning for them to actually get good and produce something.
Even my own Classic server ended up being me redoing everything from scratch. Originally I wanted to use default but as I developed the server it quickly ended up with my realizing that it's just too limited. It's a pity that we're forced to practically rework everything just so we can emulate what already exists but giving us the options to tweak specifics to our liking.