Thread: Inactive Gangs
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
You have to think honestly here. Not a single thing is going to make gangs active again. It took a while, but the old gang system died eventually because of people leaving. You add something, that spikes gang activity for a month or two. More if you're lucky. Then it just dies off again. In the end, the gang system is dying because of lack of gang activity. The incentive to be in a gang or party is the fact you can go power-own by siding with a gang of elite PKers who aren't lone wolves to prove dominance.

Fact of the matter is, there aren't enough people playing to make gangs worth it. Therefore, activity is killing gangs. Not the systems. Proof is in the fact that less elaborate systems (No points, not perks, no literal control over an area) succeeded exponentially better with hundreds of people online all the time than the current system does which rewards you for being part of a gang at all. What people we do have playing now really prefer going out and killing people on their own.
In Era's old days it had roughly the same playercount as it does now. The difference was that the community was dog-eat-dog and to succeed you had to play the game with effort and keep in mind that to be successful you had to be liked. Of course, you can't exactly bring back the elitist, smug players that actually -helped- the game, but a proper system could effectively solve the "boring gangs" issue, which is what my current project is on.

I haven't published the details to the official forums (note, official forums), but believe me that I am working hard on creating an enjoyable experience that is unique. I'll do a small presentation complete with videos once I get a working version with everything done.