View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It's nice that people prefer my tiles over the much superior tiles from the newworld project, but it's impossible to ignore everything that has been said on more than two pages and just do a normal conversation acting like the other side is actually caring about what you say. Some people on this forum have such a narrow view on things that it's almost laughable. Why not actually talking about what is fun and what is not fun about Classic iPhone instead of comlaining over and over again about stuff that has nothing to do with the Classic iPhone project.

See the Classic PC project: Some people were complaining over and over again that Classic needs a client-side hit detection and ignored the fact that it needs to go back to the original gameplay and create new stuff like quests instead of talking about details no one cares about. It's like 'OH NO! THERE IS A TILE ERROR!" when you could just play or work on your own interesting Graal server project.

I hope the discussion can go back to the topic
I've never played the iPhone server, Xor showed me around once and things have changed since then so can't really comment too much other than from screenshots and videos I have seen and again having to talked to several of the players that had logged onto the PC server (that also happen to think that the tileset changes are "shoddy"), I don't see any reason to believe people are playing it due to any type of solid gameplay, but I believe the one thing it has going for it is quite simply the sheer huge playercount you can interact with.

While it's a little disappointing from a Classic player perspective to see so many with a nickname starting with Apprentice/Co-Leader/General/Leader etc Guilds are something that help encourage player interaction, something that can also be achieved through Sparring, PKing and Events though I don't think much effort has been put towards this yet.

With regards to Quest related content, i'm not sure if there is supposed to be any direction with that but I did notice that yet more of the Classic levels were taken in the form of the Gnome Caves for the tutorial server, this time being from a later date than the initial iPhone level set.
Again I don't know if they're being used or in what capacity but I think you'd have to do alot more than copy those to the server to create a Quest setup that would be attractive.

Something else to consider is Economy related content, Gralats are something that are required for purchasing + furnishing houses, aswell as creating Guilds, yet the only method of obtaining them last I heard seems to be cutting bushes and paying for them with real money which again I can't imagine being very attractive.

You bring up the point about the issue the PC server had with Hit Detection (although there were plenty of other issues that were raised), yet instead of further focussing on types of Community based content, or exploring alternative aspects of gameplay, you yourself seem to have focussed on the pointless and insignificant update of changing the tileset and building appearances, which unlike the Serverside Hit Detection we used to have on Classic no players had actually complained about the tiles used before.