View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Almost useful
Ter13 is on a distinguished road
Dusty: The main goal is supporting the features that the old editor does not support. However, some things are lost in translation: Such as the testplay feature, and I'm dropping baddies and probably chests from the support list, seeing as the engine "supports" them, but for the most part, their use is discouraged strongly. I see no point to the implementation of them, so if someone WANTS to use the source, and re-implement them, I have no problem with that.

DarkLux: I don't like mapeditor.org's GUI at all. I'm planning something more photoshop-like eventually. Particularly with the layer windows. Plus, writing my own took me a whole eight hours, so honestly... It's not like I'd be wasting a whole lot of time.

Zero: I've got it. I appreciate the offer, but I've got a bit of experience in the field, so I should manage. It'll be easier to just write it myself, as the beginning of this thread points out that I've managed to break out the file format pretty well, so the rest should take but a few minutes.

And Zero, don't feel like your project is useless. As has been said a few times in this thread, I won't have a feature available for testing of the map, so yours will likely have a faster deployment time than mine unless the developer really knows what he is doing. Yours will also be much more useful for map-tweaking, and mine more for initial/offline map building.