Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal Main Forum (English) (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The next Graal client (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85779)

cbk1994 05-27-2009 09:37 PM

The next Graal client

It should have been released months ago. There is no reason to keep us waiting this long for updates that we've been needing, such as Intel support for Mac, external windows, clientside callstack, and all the other features.

Focus more on "sets" of updates so that you can actually finish them. You've been too busy adding more and more new features that you haven't released the "old" features yet.

Stop aiming for Graal v6 and aim for Graal v5.2.

Crow 05-27-2009 10:29 PM

I agree!

DustyPorViva 05-27-2009 10:31 PM

I agree. I don't see the need of only releasing the next big update instead of just giving the client minor updates that are really needed.

Tigairius 05-27-2009 10:44 PM

Well, the actual windows client isn't ready yet for the new version and there are quite a few other bugs still.

Crono 05-27-2009 10:45 PM

Fix external windows in v5.2 to not use the ugly skins, fix the positioning problems, and fix how it defaults the crappy scripted playerlist then release it. :)

Luda 05-27-2009 10:50 PM

editor with layers pls

Skyld 05-27-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigairius (Post 1494716)
Well, the actual windows client isn't ready yet for the new version and there are quite a few other bugs still.

My latest build of the Mac Intel 64-bit client is actually not too bad, it has a few minor bugs but nothing that stops gameplay.

Tigairius 05-27-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1494723)
My latest build of the Mac Intel 64-bit client is actually not too bad, it has a few minor bugs but nothing that stops gameplay.

Yea, the mac and linux ones are pretty up-to-date and ready to go. Except I don't think obj.trigger() is working in those yet (?) that's definitely something that needs to be addressed.

Biggest problem is the windows client since that's what most graal users use.

Tigairius 05-27-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1494719)
crappy scripted playerlist

Actually, I plan to rescript the playerlist with Rage from UN to make it more friendly for people to use and more welcoming with the new client.

Things I would like to add in the new playerlist (please note that none of this has been approved by Stefan, and these are just my ideas):
  • Ability to embed YouTube videos in PMs (will be able to be disabled with an option).
  • Collapsing/Expanding groups (like buddies, guilds, etc).
  • Creating your own groups (instead of only having default: Staff, Buddies, Guild, Players)
  • Smoother UI including buttons for easy hyperlinking and adding smilies for PMs, etc.
  • Resizable PM windows (meaning you can click & drag that space in between the message & the text edit area and move it up and down to resize the PM... not sure how well I explained it).
  • Cleaner skin & smoother look
  • Other UI improvements.

Feel free to make a new thread outlining improvements you'd like to see in the new playerlist if you have some ideas.

All in all, once it's been rescripted, it should actually be nicer than the current external playerlist in the current version.

DustyPorViva 05-27-2009 11:22 PM

If external windows are a problem, I'd rather him put them off until later and just update the current client with some of the smaller additions he has made to the new one.

James 05-27-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda (Post 1494722)
editor with layers pls

the newworld editor had support for layers, i still don't understand why it has not been made available.

DustyPorViva 05-27-2009 11:28 PM

Newworld editor didn't have support for layers. It had some pseudo-support. You designated a background tile and the tileset had transparency. It filled the transparent bits of tiles with the background tile. Only one background tile per level, so it wasn't very flexible.

James 05-28-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyPorViva (Post 1494743)
Newworld editor didn't have support for layers. It had some pseudo-support. You designated a background tile and the tileset had transparency. It filled the transparent bits of tiles with the background tile. Only one background tile per level, so it wasn't very flexible.

Really? I swear it had some kind of layering support. Regardless, Graal has been around too damn long. We should have had tile layering years ago.

Angel_Light 05-28-2009 04:10 AM

I saw a pic of a modded Gonstruct editor using layers although I acually never found the executable.

zokemon 05-28-2009 08:23 AM

If the external window bugs were fixed, I would have had the scripted level editor that uses external windows finished long ago.