Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Questions about V6 (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Vista (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81521)

cbk1994 08-27-2008 10:13 PM

Vista

How well does Graal run on Vista? I am considering upgrading (my dad can get a copy very cheap through the university).

What are the annoying bugs?

Also, are there any other reasons I should avoid Vista?

EDIT:

Upgrading my XP partition, not my computer. I'd be Mac/Vista on this computer rather than Mac/XP.

Skyld 08-27-2008 10:36 PM

On my Vista computer, Graal runs very well in DirectX mode but experiences problems in Graal3D/OpenGL mode. Not sure if this is just something to do with my graphics drivers, though.

xXziroXx 08-27-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1418357)
On my Vista computer, Graal runs very well in DirectX mode but experiences problems in Graal3D/OpenGL mode. Not sure if this is just something to do with my graphics drivers, though.

What he said.

DarkReaper0 08-28-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld (Post 1418357)

I constantly get complaints from vista users about lag any time a players colors (red,blue,green) or the tilelayer colors are changed.

Vista seems to puke every time they see that.

Demisis_P2P 08-28-2008 05:58 AM

When you lock the computer with Graal open and then log back in Graal starts to hitch/lag horribly and you need to close it and reopen it for it to stop.

Dunno if they same thing happens on XP as well.

cbk1994 08-28-2008 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P (Post 1418454)
When you lock the computer with Graal open and then log back in Graal starts to hitch/lag horribly and you need to close it and reopen it for it to stop.

Dunno if they same thing happens on XP as well.

Yes, it does. It annoys me to death, especially if I had gotten PMs (the font changes to like ... bars and lines).

Exhausted 08-28-2008 06:14 AM

When I first got my Vista, playing Graal was morbid because I moved slowly, but I had the idea to make my screen smaller, which made me move normally =o

cbk1994 08-28-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhausted (Post 1418462)
When I first got my Vista, playing Graal was morbid because I moved slowly, but I had the idea to make my screen smaller, which made me move normally =o

So, you have to use a small screen? My resolution is only 1440x900 anyway.

Skyld 08-28-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkReaper0 (Post 1418415)
I constantly get complaints from vista users about lag any time a players colors (red,blue,green) or the tilelayer colors are changed.

Vista seems to puke every time they see that.

I haven't experiened that, no.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994
So, you have to use a small screen? My resolution is only 1440x900 anyway.

It seems to work perfectly smoothly for me in 1680x1050 either maximised or fullscreen. :|

Deas_Voice 08-28-2008 03:03 PM

on my laptop, graal runs slowly but that could be the drivers idk,
when you close the level editor theres a error popup window that you have to destroy by task manager.

Admins 08-31-2008 03:25 AM

Usually the Vista-video drivers for Macs are quite good, on generic hardware it can sometimes be harder to find good drivers since companies like Nvidia often only provide good drivers for their latest cards.

Stephen 08-31-2008 04:19 AM

Runs nicely on my computer, although I when the change user screen comes up (mine does it on screensaver) it will then give an error when I return... works fine unless I've been gone long enough to get d/c for not moving, then I have to restart.

Although, when this happens, it will always kill my Aero until I restart Graal

cbk1994 08-31-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1419237)
Usually the Vista-video drivers for Macs are quite good, on generic hardware it can sometimes be harder to find good drivers since companies like Nvidia often only provide good drivers for their latest cards.

I've got an ATI Radeon X1600, and it runs great on XP. I'll definitely give Vista a shot, then :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1419239)
Runs nicely on my computer, although I when the change user screen comes up (mine does it on screensaver) it will then give an error when I return... works fine unless I've been gone long enough to get d/c for not moving, then I have to restart.

Exact same thing happens to me on XP anyway.

devilsknite1 09-02-2008 04:53 AM

When I run vista, I just.. lag.

Since I have like eight computers, it doesn't effect me to much, but once I get around about 4 players, I lag to death. It's not my graphics card either ;o

NVidia works GREAT.
AMD Works GREAT.

Those are the only two that never give me trouble with graal. Some of the rest kind of just like faint when they see colors they don't like.

atomuskus 10-24-2008 06:32 AM

It seems to be that vista amplifies every little slight incompatibility with graal. I have vista now and know many other people who got vista too, we all have different issues and yes I run a top of the line gaming computer. Most people using the level editor just get an error they have to close, mine does not open all together and displays an error. Many people have had to play graal with a shrunken window to avoid inexplicable lag, though I haven't had that problem (strangely enough getting a widescreen monitor seems to fix it). With me, transparencies break randomly during certain gani functions, especially color, size, and rotation (sometimes size and rotation dont register as well), most people I run into don't have this issue though. I also get an issue where particles in a gani sometimes reappear then fade away over every player anytime a player moves up to 30 seconds after the partice has stopped.
Thanks to some research I found out some reasons for some of these:
1.Vista renders graphics in 3 semi transparent layers (who knows why to be honest)
2. Different countries actually get a completely different set of windows vista packages to chose from.
3. Not all vista packages of the same name are the same vista, there are large variances
4. The vista package won't actually tell you if it is the 64 or 32 bit verion before you buy it, only after you install it can you check (fun to find out you have the wrong processor type AFTER you payed for the piece of junk)
5. Vista systems now use linux-like folder structures. I am also pretty sure I saw it say kernel when I looked around through it, many things dont fully support this new structure.