Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal V4 Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Playerworld SQL (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67262)

Warcaptain 07-11-2006 06:22 AM

Playerworld SQL

I would REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY like it if you (Stefan) could allow playerworlds to startup a SQL server for the game.

By that I mean a SQL server that allows the server (though serverside scripting and such) to access a mysql database through serverside functions. And would be nice to add a SQL button to the RC so we can load up a nice.. organized SQL viewer :)

This would be great for us people that want to use a more advanced item system that dont feel like trying to make an adhoc mudlib.

Anyone else with me on this?

Falados 07-11-2006 06:27 AM

Yes. SQL is just so much better for databases than homebrew solutions

KuJi 07-11-2006 07:38 AM

I THINK you were able to view SQL of PWS several yrs ago :o (like 6?)

Skyld 07-11-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuJi
I THINK you were able to view SQL of PWS several yrs ago :o (like 6?)

He does not mean that; he means each server having a database or so for which can be used to store data using gscript.

KuJi 07-11-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld
He does not mean that; he means each server having a database or so for which can be used to store data using gscript.

Alternative to the current databases where even /savenpcs 75% of the time dont work? :o

Skyld 07-11-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Alternative to the current databases where even /savenpcs 75% of the time dont work? :o

No. Take this example.

A PHP script can connect to a MySQL server and store/retrieve data. What Warcaptain is suggesting is a way for gscript to be able to do that.

Warcaptain 07-11-2006 04:33 PM

Exactly :)

Malinko 07-12-2006 05:11 AM

So then, Warcaptain can...

TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

*Gasp*

Falados 07-12-2006 06:09 AM

Not really to take over the world... Mostly just to be able to do away with nasty string-based items systems, avoid the convoluted mudlib, and also to bridge the gap between the gserver and the web [to do cool things like online stats and web-interface server maintenance, etc...]

It just makes sense to do database work in... well... a database =\

KuJi 07-12-2006 07:43 AM

Ahh, graal script interacting with mysql db's. Would actually be very useful

Warcaptain 07-12-2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Ahh, graal script interacting with mysql db's. Would actually be very useful

Look at you, pretending to know stuff.

Anyways, Stefan!! REPLYYy!!

Raeiphon 07-12-2006 01:01 PM

It'd also mean that if you dont know how to protect SQL databases properly, people like me would have a field day running around and changing things.

KuJi 07-12-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcaptain
Look at you, pretending to know stuff.

Anyways, Stefan!! REPLYYy!!

Actually.. I know enough php to understand what skylds talking about. kthx.

Malinko 07-12-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falados
Not really to take over the world... Mostly just to be able to do away with nasty string-based items systems, avoid the convoluted mudlib, and also to bridge the gap between the gserver and the web [to do cool things like online stats and web-interface server maintenance, etc...]

It just makes sense to do database work in... well... a database =\

Man, I read what people in the thread said.

Stop ruining fun of forums. :(:(

Warcaptain 07-12-2006 07:18 PM

It does not neccesarily need to be something accesable by any web browser.. (though that would be real nice for web stuff)

But my biggest need is for having a much easier accesable serverside database.

I doubt you would really be able to crack it unless there was unprotected onActionServersides.. but most of mine are very well protected.