Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Support (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Setup exe help (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55823)

Admins 10-27-2004 04:17 PM

Setup exe help

I got some reports from people having problems with the setup.exe,
saying it cannot retrieve the mirror.lst for download sites. If you have
the same problem and fixed it, please post here when it happened
(windows-version) and how you have fixed it (firewall settings?).

R0bin 10-27-2004 05:03 PM

Maybe it's time to start using Windows Installer instead of that tired cygwin setup, Windows Installer 3 can download setup files just like the cygwin setup can.

zell12 10-28-2004 12:12 AM

I think it might have to do with the type of method you use to connect to the website to download the stuff?

Slash-P2P 10-28-2004 12:49 AM

A web based windows installer setup would be nice :cool:

Stefan, I had that problem when I used my laptop at school which used a proxy server.

Admins 10-28-2004 04:31 PM

The question right now is not if there could be a better setup (the current works quite nice), the question is what we can do if people have that problem.

Slash-P2P 10-28-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
The question right now is not if there could be a better setup (the current works quite nice), the question is what we can do if people have that problem.

You can add more options for connecting to the graal website such as ports and proxies.

Admins 10-29-2004 01:04 PM

So right now it's just a problem of the firewall or proxy not letting the setup program connect to the port of the download server?

Slash-P2P 10-29-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

So right now it's just a problem of the firewall or proxy not letting the setup program connect to the port of the download server?

Thats what my problem was. Maybe you could let the setup use internet options directly from the computers internet settings such as Internet Explorer's internet settings.

R0bin 11-01-2004 02:17 AM

Or, have a full setup download on the website.

Admins 11-01-2004 02:15 PM

what do you mean?

Andares 11-01-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

what do you mean?

R0bin means putting an installer online where you pick and choose what you want using a PHP script and it sends them to you in a .zip or .rar file.
I think it's a nifty idea.

protagonist 11-01-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andares
R0bin means putting an installer online where you pick and choose what you want using a PHP script and it sends them to you in a .zip or .rar file.
I think it's a nifty idea.

That would be a good idea.

Crono 11-01-2004 05:11 PM

What about a real setup .exe where your internet connection doesn't matter and it just extracts all the files into your folder like a normal installer?

This could be an option along with the webbased installer...

Slash-P2P 11-01-2004 05:59 PM

One thing I don't get about the current installer is that you can choose all these different packs at the top to install..but you need all of them...so why not merge them into 1?

A web based windows MSI installer would be nice.

Admins 11-02-2004 04:33 PM

The problem is that the setup program is also used for updating your installation, which depends on what you have already installed on your hard drive. It is planned to make it so that v3.1 (or v3.2) can itself manage the download of updates.
But like I said that is not the reason why this thread was started. I just want to know what kind of experience people had with configuring their firewall or similar to get it working, since the default confinguration of Windows allows the setup.exe to download the files without problems.