Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bug Report (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   'Don't Use UDP for data packages' (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82109)

Kneegro 10-02-2008 05:10 PM

'Don't Use UDP for data packages'

Whats the deal with this option? people are always complaining to others "You have UDP checked to lag yourself cheater" stuff like that...and others can't see people because of this option. It's confusing stuff...

Deas_Voice 10-02-2008 07:09 PM

what doas UPD packages really do?
i guess most players have it disabled because the stupid sign that pops up..

Loriel 10-02-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deas_Voice (Post 1428318)
what doas UPD packages really do?

They are smaller so they take less bandwidth.

Crono1508 10-03-2008 01:38 AM

User Datagram Protocol (UDP) also known as Universal Datagram Protocol.

Players in the United Kingdom aren't going to notice a difference because the server host that Graal uses is in the United Kingdom.

Although, if you live in the United States, you're going to notice a major difference if you have it checked or unchecked.

Making this message in short term understanding.

http://i35.tinypic.com/14c5zyb.png
Basically having it unchecked you're going to have a better connection with the server. If the server was to ever lag out, you would notice some people are frozen and others aren't. The ones that aren't frozen, have UDP unchecked.

http://i35.tinypic.com/1ieusp.png
This means you're relaying on the server to be your connection for everyone else. If the server lags out, you're lagged out along with it.

I recommend, if you can, have UDP unchecked; it really makes Graal a lot better and you notice more players will be smoother.

If you have Dial-up, you should be able to enable it, regardless.

Broadband or Cable connections: You may have to port forward or enable 'DMZ' through your router settings.

Kneegro 10-03-2008 05:07 AM

Still is odd, I wish it would automatically choose whats best for the player so people don't use it to their advantage (Lag themselves.)

Loriel 10-03-2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneegro (Post 1428501)
Still is odd, I wish it would automatically choose whats best for the player so people don't use it to their advantage (Lag themselves.)

If lagging themselves is to their advantage, play on a better server.

Crono1508 10-03-2008 07:04 AM

By default, I believe the protocol is checked so many newcomers or those who don't pay attention with settings, may not even know that it exist or what it does.

Crono 10-03-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono1508 (Post 1428423)
Players in the United Kingdom aren't going to notice a difference because the server host that Graal uses is in the United Kingdom.

Umm...what?

Elizabeth 10-03-2008 09:41 PM

i get this all the time too

except it says something else

Crono 10-03-2008 09:46 PM

If you uncheck it and are behind a router you have to select "Use fixed port for UDP" and enter a forwarded port or forward whats already there. UDP makes your character appear much smoother for other people and will make them appear sightly more smooth for you. When it's checked you're on TCP, and this makes your character slightly harder to hit as your character is more jumpy thus harder to predict.

Crono1508 10-03-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1428556)
Umm...what?

Actually, the server isn't located in the United Kingdom, I mislead myself.
Although the statement I made, is true.

Skyld 10-04-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1428652)
If you uncheck it and are behind a router you have to select "Use fixed port for UDP" and enter a forwarded port or forward whats already there. UDP makes your character appear much smoother for other people and will make them appear sightly more smooth for you. When it's checked you're on TCP, and this makes your character slightly harder to hit as your character is more jumpy thus harder to predict.

Well, not always. TCP tries to make sure packets get delivered by acknowledging received packets and resending dropped packets. UDP does not do this, so on a connection where packet drops is a problem, UDP will make your character seem very unsmooth. It just depends on the speed and reliability of your connection; UDP is better on a stable connection (say, fixed line DSL or fibre, maybe dialup) since it has less overhead and therefore is faster, but TCP is better on a less reliable connection (for instance, 3G, satellite) since the packet will be redelivered if necessary to make sure it gets there intact.

Crono 10-04-2008 11:55 AM

I thought if your packets were dropping (and you were using UDP) you wouldn't be able to see anyone else on UDP anyway?

Crono1508 10-05-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1428741)
I thought if your packets were dropping (and you were using UDP) you wouldn't be able to see anyone else on UDP anyway?

You're right. But they're ways you can make it work.
For example, port forwarding and enabling DMZ in router settings.

Crono 10-05-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono1508 (Post 1429269)
You're right. But they're ways you can make it work.
For example, port forwarding and enabling DMZ in router settings.

Yeah, I mean if their connection is ****.