Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bug Report (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   Rc Errors in Windows 8? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134267101)

Clockwork 09-10-2012 09:55 PM

Rc Errors in Windows 8?

http://i.imgur.com/fprgI.png

I recently found it necessary to log into graal again, but found this when I tried to log into rc. I dislike scripted rc, and would like very much to get this to work again.

Any ideas? Usually when I see those boxes I try install the correct language pack...but in this case it would English...

Almost fresh install of windows 8, trying to go further by entering in the correct information leads to a similar server list in the same style, and selecting a server freezes it.

cbk1994 09-10-2012 10:01 PM

Can you launch stuff via command prompt or PowerShell? Any error messages when you do that?

Clockwork 09-10-2012 10:11 PM

No errors when starting it in cmd, dunno how to powershell.

Admins 10-06-2012 07:29 PM

Weird, must be something with language... Will probably not update the old RC though. The plan is to make the scripted RC act like the old RC.

Crow 10-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1705198)
Weird, must be something with language... Will probably not update the old RC though. The plan is to make the scripted RC act like the old RC.

Don't. Seriously. Not cool when it comes to RC, at all. If you don't update it, somebody else will make a new one. You know that, don't you?

Fulg0reSama 10-06-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow (Post 1705202)
Don't. Seriously. Not cool when it comes to RC, at all. If you don't update it, somebody else will make a new one. You know that, don't you?

Agreed.
I actually know of someone who can do that.

BboyEatsbacon 10-06-2012 07:48 PM

I posted about this awhile ago, but I'm glad to see that it isn't just me with this error.

fowlplay4 10-06-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

It will only be bad if Scripted RC doesn't match the performance/usability of RC2.exe

Unfortunately the inability for the Scripted Playerlist to successfully emulate the native/internal versions in V5 and below isn't giving anyone faith in Scripted RC.

Crono 10-06-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Wait, you're actually surprised? Stefan has been pushing for scripted everything for a while now, too bad scripted feels worse than the external clients. Kind of sad that something from like 6-8 years ago is still of a higher standard than modern tools.

Crow 10-06-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1705207)
Kind of sad that something from like 6-8 years ago is still of a higher standard than modern tools.

That happens a lot, check out the new Wacom logo.

cbk1994 10-08-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1705198)

The scripted RC is complete and utter junk. Just give up on it.

Fulg0reSama 10-08-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1705359)

Somewhere Skyld feels a chill.

TSAdmin 10-09-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk1994 (Post 1705359)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama (Post 1705369)
Somewhere Skyld feels a chill.

Indeed. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's totally useless and junk. It's easy to update, doesn't require redownloading every version, etc. but in functionality, it is yet to prove to be anywhere near superior compared to the current external version and from a developer's standpoint, that is the biggest turn-off because the easy maintenance is not a redeeming quality when you're trying to produce work through it.

Admins 10-10-2012 12:14 AM

It would still help to say what you don't like about it. The external RC is not the perfect Windows text editor either.

fowlplay4 10-10-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1705460)
It would still help to say what you don't like about it. The external RC is not the perfect Windows text editor either.

It's not, but it's only a couple features away. I.e. code collapsing.

Off the top of my head these stand out:

1. Have to login on client. I know you can roll a 'RC' version of the Graal client.
2. No OS Native Theme.
3. Inherits all the problems (Highlighting issues are huge) we currently have with Graal GUI Objects, that haven't been fixed for a year now.

If you actually had to use it for a week or two instead of external RC (another issue we have because we've heard you're rolling your own fixed versions of RC2.exe and leaving us with the 06 model) you would see all these flaws, and likely more.

We understand you want a push for in-client tools but it's been over 4-5 years since the last client update and the amount of progress made since there is minimal, and there's been no releases or updates that really convince players it's a good idea.

In that amount of time you could of easily fixed our issues with our existing tools and we would be much happier for it.