Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graphic Design (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Better (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59873)

Bartjuh1992 07-08-2005 08:38 PM

Better

1 Attachment(s)
Wich one of these is beter?

AlexH 07-08-2005 08:42 PM

I much prefer the bottom one. Looks much more realistic than the top one. The shading has been done pretty poorly in that one.

GoZelda 07-08-2005 10:23 PM

Bottom one would look nicer if it was slightly darker.

Crono 07-08-2005 11:02 PM

bottom

LordZen 07-09-2005 07:57 AM

I hate when people use dark background colors. Especially when somebody tries to show me a sprite with black filling the negative area.

I prefer the top, and I think that if the background was made transparent, more would agree. (I'm assuming of course we are to be judging it as if its meant to go in-game)

Right now, the dark background half is acting like the lower sprite's outline.

They both look good, but let us compare it without the background.

konidias 07-09-2005 02:00 PM

Zen that is a strange request. If that graphic is going to be used on a server, 99% of the time it's going to be on a dark background.

Curt1zzle 07-09-2005 03:26 PM

Top.

Has better depth.

Zero Hour 07-09-2005 03:32 PM

Because the bottom of the barrel is so light, on the lower one, it almost looks as if it's INDENTED into the background.

Curt1zzle 07-09-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Hour
Because the bottom of the barrel is so light, on the lower one, it almost looks as if it's INDENTED into the background.

I thought that too, but I was too lazy to post it.

Zero Hour 07-09-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt1zzle
I thought that too, but I was too lazy to post it.

I have spoken for you, praise me.

LordZen 07-09-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konidias
Zen that is a strange request. If that graphic is going to be used on a server, 99% of the time it's going to be on a dark background.

Sprites generally dont look right to me if they dont have some sort of darker outline, be it jet-black or simply darker shades of the inside colors.

Sprites, especially player sprites, needs enough contrast to stand out from the background 100% of the time, regardless of what colors of terrain are behind the character at any given moment.

If somebody tries to show you a sprite with jet black in the negative area, you cant honestly give an accurate opinion about the image itself because your eye is tricked by the background color acting as an outline.

I'm simply saying it does you more justice to see the image independantly, if you aim to make something look good 100% of the time, it ought to look good regardless of what color is around it.

Donald did this alot when showing me stuff, and most of the time it always looked great with black fill around it, but when I showed him how the sprite looked with white surrounding it, even he agreed sometimes that it needed more work.

Zero Hour 07-09-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZen
Donald did this alot when showing me stuff, and most of the time it always looked great with black fill around it, but when I showed him how the sprite looked with white surrounding it, even he agreed sometimes that it needed more work.

Yea, I remember when he would post stuff with black backgrounds, and on different backgrounds you would see some little details that needed fixing. I try doing stuff like that to get different perspectives of my work :)

Luciano 07-09-2005 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

Curt1zzle 07-09-2005 11:13 PM

Bottom lighter one looks a lot better on a white background than it does on a purple background, that's for sure.

Hiro 07-09-2005 11:33 PM

Bottem looks cleaner.