Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   PlayerWorlds Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A hope for a new graal server/game? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134266214)

Clockwork 04-10-2012 08:16 PM

A hope for a new graal server/game?

Hello!

As I'm sure some of you know, a website named 'Kickstarter' has been around for awhile. Recently though it has really began to shoot off and start producing quite a lot of money for developers, whom would otherwise be just like us, with monetary incentive.

I 'd like to hear thoughts or concerns about wether some of the dedicated developers on graal should come together and finally produce something alongside the help of kickstarter. This would, I think, provide a much better motivation than simply looking forward to the end product on our side.

I've seen projects that contain nothing more than a promise and screenshots with RPGmaker tilesets earn $12,000+. If we could get something going, I'm sure we could make at least that much in donations to really get us going along in development.

Again, I'd like to hear questions and concerns on this idea, and of course hear from people who would love to be a part of this if it ever got under way. Things like "what genre" and "Ipod or classic or what" should be better off left until it actually got going on kickstarter, and better left for the team that would be developing.

xXziroXx 04-10-2012 08:20 PM

As I told you on AIM, I think this is a great idea!

Crono 04-10-2012 08:24 PM

if only my dev skill wasnt the most useless of the three. if money is involved i'll make levels for anything though. no shame son.

Felix_Xenophobe 04-10-2012 08:30 PM

as long as you get together outside graal and have complete control of whatever you are doing. otherwise ur gonna end up 4 years down the road on the gold playerworld list like a worn out prostitute with your gelat shop gaping wide. neat idea tho just dont do it with graal

Emera 04-10-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix_Xenophobe (Post 1691695)
as long as you get together outside graal and have complete control of whatever you are doing. otherwise ur gonna end up 4 years down the road on the gold playerworld list like a worn out prostitute with your gelat shop gaping wide. neat idea tho just dont do it with graal

lul.

Fulg0reSama 04-10-2012 08:51 PM

I agree. Not necessarily biased towards any opinion, I just approve :D

papajchris 04-10-2012 09:07 PM

I agree with felix. dont do it with graal. It will have no players and graal controls it. Make you own game

DrakilorP2P 04-10-2012 10:27 PM

Normally with Kickstarter you offer something to those who donate, like a copy of the game when it's released. If you make a Graal playerworld, how will you make sure donators can access it without trial restrictions?

Crono 04-10-2012 10:56 PM

graal's management is whats ultimately kept the game down for many many years. the potential was always there, but ya.

xXziroXx 04-10-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1691710)
graal's management is whats ultimately kept the game down for many many years. the potential was always there, but ya.

at least not quite S2 :rolleyes:

Crono 04-10-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXziroXx (Post 1691711)
at least not quite S2 :rolleyes:

hm?

Felix_Xenophobe 04-10-2012 11:14 PM

graal getting closer n closer to doing an s2

Crono 04-10-2012 11:17 PM

s2 sold out but increased their playercount by about 15,000. at some points it was hitting as low as 35k, after their new scheme i saw it at a record high 70k.

Galdor 04-10-2012 11:20 PM

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3301/no1o.gif

DustyPorViva 04-10-2012 11:23 PM

The idea is there, but you're still working within the confines of Graal itself. The only donators who would be interested I feel are Graalians, which is a very limited demographic. Then besides that the only fields of development where you can pay to get stuff done are the artistic fields, like graphics and music. Scripts will be very important to get anything decent accomplished, and there are only a few of those left(in my opinion, of any skill level that would warrant being paid). You could have a very artistically beautiful game, with awesome graphics and a wonderful soundtrack... but what's the point if the server is scripted poorly/has poor gameplay?

I mean, money can only get you so far and Graal is a VERY close-knit community. If people donate and then the product isn't satisfactory then it will ripple on forever. First off, donators will somehow feel entitled to a decent product since there is money involved(and they would be wrong), and second the first kickstarter results could effect anyones willingness to donate for future kickstarters related to Graal, even if it's being handled by someone much more capable. Also note that most developers on Graal don't script fulltime like you would find with programmers. Their time is often limited, and money can't fix that(especially if they have obligations with school/work, like many do).

It's an iffy thing, in my opinion. Also as it's been noted, Graal's structure(with Stefan and Unixmad) doesn't really help at all. But for an entirely different game? Most definitely, you're breaking away from a niche setting and gaining much more possibilities of being able to hire programmers from many different places and so on. However this would end up being much more work so it's a pro/con sort of thing.