Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future Improvements (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Web Client (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65983)

Faital_Ryu 05-11-2006 11:11 PM

Web Client

Probably a tall order, but it'd be nice to play Graal abroad on a web client. By having a web client available, people can play Graal on other computers where downloading is restricted, and if you're playing Graal at any public place, you can tell people about Graal, getting more players to try it out, and possibly get more Gold/VIP players.

Skyld 05-11-2006 11:21 PM

I don't think it is suitable. The client depends on quite a lot, it would be difficult to write a Java version I guess.

Zero Hour 05-11-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyld
I don't think it is suitable. The client depends on quite a lot, it would be difficult to write a Java version I guess.

It would have to be limited to specific servers, or ones made specifically for it. I can't see it being feasible otherwise.

Faital_Ryu 05-11-2006 11:27 PM

I was thinking that only Gold/VIP members could access the web client, and probably the Gold servers, and the most popular Classic servers would be available. Like GK, Zone, Unholy Nation, probably those servers would be available.

Or, you could make web clients for specific servers. Like, you could load a GK client, and all you do, is enter your account info, log in, and you load at the last place you were at on GK.

If web clients were actually to be made, I'd only make them for the most popular servers.

Tyhm 05-12-2006 01:22 AM

I could see a Graal Lite version. Remember when Unixmad was all up ons about putting Graal on everything: PDAs, PSPs, Toasters...?
I could see a Lite Version. Reduce all the graphics to one big spritesheet. Reduce the resolution by a LOT. A handfull of default sounds only. Then, if you really want to let people do it, you can code a system NPC on your server so they can move around - on the same server as everyone else - using the Lite client. They see a 8x4 icon of themself sliding around watering corn icons (very Early Atari), we see a Fung Si Yan walking around normally. We walk up, they see an 8x4 icon of Generic Player #2 slide up.

Hmm, should I draw a picture, or does this make sense to people who aren't me?

Zero Hour 05-12-2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyhm
I could see a Graal Lite version. Remember when Unixmad was all up ons about putting Graal on everything: PDAs, PSPs, Toasters...?
I could see a Lite Version. Reduce all the graphics to one big spritesheet. Reduce the resolution by a LOT. A handfull of default sounds only. Then, if you really want to let people do it, you can code a system NPC on your server so they can move around - on the same server as everyone else - using the Lite client. They see a 8x4 icon of themself sliding around watering corn icons (very Early Atari), we see a Fung Si Yan walking around normally. We walk up, they see an 8x4 icon of Generic Player #2 slide up.

Hmm, should I draw a picture, or does this make sense to people who aren't me?

Somewhat, but certain aspects would be limited because specific servers wouldn't apply to the tileset, or would be otherwise be limited by it. Savvy?

Tyhm 05-12-2006 01:37 AM

Yeah, I dig. It'd be ugly. That's pretty much inevitable when you're going from Actual Client back to Java Client (Weird, dejavu...), but that'd be the system - The only tileset you're allowed to use is all square-corners, ASCII level graphics, all the chairs look the same, all the beds look the same, etcetera. If your world was a space station, the system has to translate it all into "WALL. FLOOR. CHAIR.", and it won't look anything like Right on the web client.

Zero Hour 05-12-2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I dig. It'd be ugly. That's pretty much inevitable when you're going from Actual Client back to Java Client (Weird, dejavu...), but that'd be the system - The only tileset you're allowed to use is all square-corners, ASCII level graphics, all the chairs look the same, all the beds look the same, etcetera. If your world was a space station, the system has to translate it all into "WALL. FLOOR. CHAIR.", and it won't look anything like Right on the web client.

I don't see the advantages of this, in comparison to the disadvantages. I guess it's just a bad idea. I still think it should be ported to PDA and PSP, though :cool:

Tyhm 05-12-2006 02:02 AM

And cellphone and toaster.

irule13 05-12-2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

that would be awesome :D

Zero Hour 05-12-2006 03:12 AM

Quote:

Then I wouldn't mind waiting for my bread to toast.

excaliber7388 05-12-2006 04:03 AM

Or make the web client free, a kind of game to draw in paying users ;)

Fogles 05-12-2006 05:04 AM

If graal had a java client, i could play on modded xbox.

I got a web browser app on it

Skyld 05-12-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogles
If graal had a java client, i could play on modded xbox.

I got a web browser app on it

You could just mod your xbox some more and make it run linux. Then you can play more feature-rich Graal.

Draenin 05-12-2006 05:51 PM

Yeah, but would you be able to bind keys and stuff?