Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal Main Forum (English) (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "The New iPad" and Graal (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134265944)

MattKan 03-11-2012 05:18 AM

"The New iPad" and Graal

The iPad 3, or as Apple calls it, "The New iPad" is coming out soon!

The main thing is the resolution which is far greater than that of the iPad 2.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

"The New iPad" Display:
  • Retina display
  • 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi) The iPad 2 had a resolution of: 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Taken from http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

So the question is:

How will Graal support this? You definitely managed to make the Graal app look substantially better on the iPhone with Retina display than without it. I'm hoping you will achieve similar results with The new iPad :)

oo_jazz_oo 03-11-2012 06:11 AM

Isn't the only difference between the iPhone and iPad that you can see more of the level?

I suppose they could take advantage of the new resolution and display the entire gmap at once.

Tim_Rocks 03-11-2012 07:15 AM

I plan on buying an iPad, I don't know why yet, I just want it.

Crono 03-11-2012 07:33 AM

that is not a practical resolution to be running graal on considering the size of the screen

graal doesn't "scale" with resolution, you just see more. the text would be hard to read and everything will look quite small. :[

Hezzy002 03-11-2012 08:27 AM

In my game, I display UI elements like windows and buttons at the highest res, but the actual game is normal iPhone res on the retina display, or can be zoomed in and out by a setting. Could do something like that.

Emera 03-11-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1687905)
that is not a practical resolution to be running graal on considering the size of the screen

graal doesn't "scale" with resolution, you just see more. the text would be hard to read and everything will look quite small. :[

This. In my opinion, Graal is fun to play on the iPad, but I think that Graal best suits being played on a smaller iDevice like the iPod or iPhone.

MattKan 03-11-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1687905)

I think that it shows the same area on Retina display as without it, but it still looks way better somehow.

Crono 03-11-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1687936)
I think that it shows the same area on Retina display as without it, but it still looks way better somehow.

what devices we talking about here? did apple use IPS panels before "retina display"? if not then thats prob why

MattKan 03-11-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1687938)
what devices we talking about here? did apple use IPS panels before "retina display"? if not then thats prob why

(Retina Display) iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4

vs

Anything older

If you check the pixelated button in the iClassic options you'll see how it used to look.

geneticfrog 03-11-2012 04:58 PM

I use to play iera when it first came out with a ipod 4g.

till i pads came out and their view distance was much harder to beat. it got annoying not knowing whos bullets are flying at you mostly in gangs.

Emera 03-11-2012 06:12 PM

The size of the iPad screen is a bonus when playing on iGraal, but I still think that after comparing the iPad and the iPod gameplay side by side that the iPod is definately more suited for iGraal gameplay more than the iPad is. The buttons are the correct size and in the correct positions so you can simple hit them with your thumb. Then iPad is far too big for moving around too much and the big ass screen just gets in the way. That's my opinion though.

iPad 2 Gameplay
iPod 4G Gameplay

MattKan 03-12-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emera (Post 1687965)
The size of the iPad screen is a bonus when playing on iGraal, but I still think that after comparing the iPad and the iPod gameplay side by side that the iPod is definately more suited for iGraal gameplay more than the iPad is. The buttons are the correct size and in the correct positions so you can simple hit them with your thumb. Then iPad is far too big for moving around too much and the big ass screen just gets in the way. That's my opinion though.

iPad 2 Gameplay
iPod 4G Gameplay

I personally prefer the iPad.

Also http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...hp?t=134261974

Another thing that would be cool is for PMs to show up as notifications when outside of Graal. :P

Fulg0reSama 03-12-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1688154)

As I argued in the past, anyone who wants to Really Really play the game on an iDevice, having support for the keyboards would make a simple balancing solution for that alleged problem, also Stefan has mentioned a few times (very recently If I recall) that he'll make Zone allow PC players play on it as well, so that at least says there's experimentation going on for multi-platform online game play.

The only issue I can actually think of on anything is whether or not that an iPod (not iPhone/iPad) supports bluetooth well enough for use, I don't know iDevices extremely well.

DustyPorViva 03-12-2012 08:41 PM

Last I heard from Stefan is that just because the new iPads and such have higher resolutions, it doesn't have the power to actually render Graal at that resolution.

Emera 03-12-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattKan (Post 1688154)
Another thing that would be cool is for PMs to show up as notifications when outside of Graal. :P

That's a cool idea O.O