Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic News (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Graphics Browser (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134260646)

ffcmike 09-28-2010 06:34 AM

Graphics Browser

A new Graphics Browser has now been added within Taylor Richards (one of the buildings just above the bridge in Graal City), unlike the old one however this covers all of the different player graphic types including both standard files and files uploaded by players (excluding personal graphics), custom graphics are updated automatically on a regular basis.

All files are stored within text files offline for future loading (with custom files this is intended to reduce retrieving the large amounts of data from the server) along with an update value for comparison in the event of more custom files inevitably being uploaded or additions being made to standard files (numbered ones are entirely generated whereas named ones are within the level class and partially generated).

(note standard swords and shields have been updated to 9 & 10 pages since this video was made)

--Chris-- 09-28-2010 07:12 AM

This is really neat! Not only is it player-friendly, but it also makes it a lil easier for staff to find illegal (e.g.: copyright) gfx :D

ffcmike 09-28-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by --Chris-- (Post 1602810)
This is really neat! Not only is it player-friendly, but it also makes it a lil easier for staff to find illegal (e.g.: copyright) gfx :D

This seems to be a bit of a grey area, this type of thing still seemingly slips through the "net" on various servers and there's even plenty that should probably be deleted on Classic, there's also quite a few mainfile heads which are clearly based on video game characters, I think there needs to be some global clarification and effort towards preventing this as it's pretty inconsistent.

It also made me realise we had alot of non-transparent or messed up file uploads approved :\, which were subsequently deleted.

kia345 09-28-2010 07:43 AM

Graphic browser is nice. My main reason for even logging on classic in the recent years was to use the head browser, so at least I can exploit and take advantage of classic in the future too.

However, if I could offer a suggestion: Graal is a game that typically has you push your mouse aside and neglect it, unless you're playing a server like Zodiac or GK that demands it. Unless classic is going for a massive overhaul I can't begin to comprehend, it's still going to keep that classic style that uses only q,a,s,d and the arrow keys. Having to jump back to the mouse to mess around with menus could be sort of flow breaking. It's not exactly a hassle, but it could be a bit more convenient to be able to keep using the same keys you've been using when opening menus. This of course applies to all menus that will popup, not just the file browser.

Mouse support is cool for drop downs and context menus, but nothing beats tab and arrows.

ffcmike 09-28-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kia345 (Post 1602815)
Graphic browser is nice. My main reason for even logging on classic in the recent years was to use the head browser, so at least I can exploit and take advantage of classic in the future too.

However, if I could offer a suggestion: Graal is a game that typically has you push your mouse aside and neglect it, unless you're playing a server like Zodiac or GK that demands it. Unless classic is going for a massive overhaul I can't begin to comprehend, it's still going to keep that classic style that uses only q,a,s,d and the arrow keys. Having to jump back to the mouse to mess around with menus could be sort of flow breaking. It's not exactly a hassle, but it could be a bit more convenient to be able to keep using the same keys you've been using when opening menus. This of course applies to all menus that will popup, not just the file browser.

Mouse support is cool for drop downs and context menus, but nothing beats tab and arrows.

While this is true, it's less hassle than opening up file browser on your computer and searching within your Graal Folder :D.
I will however toy around with the possibility of browsing it via keypresses, scripted Q Inventory is pretty much the same while more favoured towards keys.

Demisis_P2P 09-28-2010 10:22 AM

This is really neat. Good job.

Seeya 09-28-2010 10:27 AM

I'm glad to see work being done. It's nice you're showing initiative for your server.

--Chris-- 09-28-2010 07:04 PM

@ffcmike: That is because people aren't doing their jobs right.

When there was a global gfx admin back in the day, I remember it being seen about. Even after that position was integrated into the PWA, there were members that searched in folders actively.

Bell 09-29-2010 07:38 PM

Nicely done Thor. A really good addition.

Cosss 09-29-2010 11:19 PM

OH look I see some of my stuff in there! Anyway, great job.

Mark Sir Link 09-30-2010 10:33 AM

I don't like the mirror in Taylor's (or anywhere else really) since you can't actually reflect images.

stencil buffer support ++

jacob_bald6225 09-30-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link (Post 1603196)
I don't like the mirror in Taylor's (or anywhere else really) since you can't actually reflect images.

stencil buffer support ++

stencil buffer support = (stencil buffer support)+1

Cosss 09-30-2010 11:39 PM

I want to make a new GUI for this, plz

ff7chocoboknight 10-05-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 (Post 1603300)
stencil buffer support = (stencil buffer support)+1

stencil buffer support += 1