Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal Main Forum (English) (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PC IDs? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66299)

Projectshifter 05-29-2006 01:50 AM

PC IDs?

I just recently started helping out again with Graal, and I heard about the PC ids being able to be used and I was kind of impressed, and wondering where exactly these IDs come from? My id was in the 100s when I was on Windows, then I switched over to my Kubuntu (Linux) and it was like 32,000 something. Someone told me that one of their friends had a new PC ID everytime they installed a Windows update, so I figured putting on a new linux distro would change my PC ID but it didn't. I now am running Debian with a 2.6.15 kernel (Kubuntu was 2.6.9) and it's still the same ID.

Where the hell do they come from? I'm assuming the OS has something to do with it, but I thought the original plan is it was to read your hardware and go from there? Anyone else have theirs change after they did something, or not change after they did something major to their system?

Chris 05-29-2006 04:49 AM

I think it's a registry thing. Not sure really.

Googi 05-29-2006 04:51 AM

I think it's a clientside random number assigned to the executable on installation.

haunter 05-29-2006 04:52 AM

Exactly where the ID comes from is a secret. It's a combination of things in some sort of equation I think.

HoudiniMan 05-29-2006 06:02 AM

I'm curious too, but I'd just as soon keep it a secret so people dont figure a way to change it.

Curt1zzle 05-29-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoudiniMan
I'm curious too, but I'd just as soon keep it a secret so people dont figure a way to change it.

Google does wonders.

ApothiX 05-29-2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
I think it's a registry thing. Not sure really.

Linux doesn't have a registry.

Skrobo2 05-29-2006 06:50 AM

I'd say it is assigned by the os, just the same as the ip. Used for networking maybe?

KuJi 05-29-2006 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrobo2
I'd say it is assigned by the os, just the same as the ip. Used for networking maybe?

Assigned by the OS, like the ip? lol?

So when people get ip banned they reinstall windows to play again?

Projectshifter 05-29-2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrobo2

I don't think that would be it, otherwise my two different Linux distrubtions, each running different Kernels, would have different IDs. Also Linux doesn't have a system registry, so that's not practical either.

Curt1zzle 05-29-2006 07:28 AM

The computer ID is based on the MAC address of your Ethernet adapter, or in some cases on the disk volume serial number. If you change your Ethernet card or reformat your hard drive, you may be re-assigned a new code.

Skrobo2 05-29-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://digital.ni.com
The computer ID is based on the MAC address of your Ethernet adapter, or in some circumstances on the disk volume serial number.

I found that, which is what Curt1zzle found as well, more than likely. But that id may be created for a particular programs' use. Since it stated after that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://digital.ni.com
If you change your Ethernet card or reformat your hard drive, you may need a new activation code. The software will alert you when you need to reactivate in one of these circumstances. Once you have been alerted that one of these resources has changed, the software will continue to operate for 7 days. You should reactivate the product during this 7 day period. Reactivate the product by using the NI License Wizard, just as you did when you originally activated.

Which in that case, I'd guesse that Graal gives your computer an id when you install the game client, and uses that.

napo_p2p 05-29-2006 10:03 AM

The world may never know...

Zero Hour 05-29-2006 01:08 PM

If you actually expected an answer, Project Shifter, you would probably be better off asking Stefan yourself.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a thread on the topic :)

Projectshifter 05-29-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Hour
If you actually expected an answer, Project Shifter, you would probably be better off asking Stefan yourself.

I don't think it's a good idea to have a thread on the topic :)

I didn't really expect anyone to know definitively, but was curious if anyone had some ideas. Asking Stefan would have been too easy and he probably would not be open for explaining it either. A few people suggested it was with Mac addresses or so (not the case, both of my OSes use the same internet hardware), and a few other things that aren't practical. Oh well.