Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graal Main Forum (English) (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Udp? (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70599)

Crono 12-04-2006 11:18 PM

Udp?

This isn't really a technical problem or anything but more of a question to everyone incase someone knows...

Does checking "Don't use UDP packages" affect how much you lag? I've always had UDP disabled (checked) since I'm on a network but does this make me lag more?

Can I simply forward ports so I don't have to check this? I see a port in the F3 options with "Use fixed port", is this to make UDP work? The reason I always have UDP disabled is because I can't see most people moving in a level...been like this since 2001 when I shared my connection.

Will I lag less? People on UN say I lag and was just wondering...

Skyld 12-04-2006 11:20 PM

UDP is faster, but I am not sure how noticeably slower TCP is.

Admins 12-05-2006 01:48 AM

It depends on the connection and the players you are playing with. If you play with european people on a Gold server or classic server then using UDP should be faster, since most servers are in the USA. UDP packets are sent directly to the other players, so you see the players with less lag and the other players see you with less lag, but peer-to-peer UDP is only working when both players are directly connected to the Internet or use a firewall/NAT which can forward UDP packets. Setting a fixed port for UDP often makes it easier to get the NAT forwarding it (you still need to configure it to use that port though).

Crono 12-05-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1250294)
It depends on the connection and the players you are playing with. If you play with european people on a Gold server or classic server then using UDP should be faster, since most servers are in the USA. UDP packets are sent directly to the other players, so you see the players with less lag and the other players see you with less lag, but peer-to-peer UDP is only working when both players are directly connected to the Internet or use a firewall/NAT which can forward UDP packets. Setting a fixed port for UDP often makes it easier to get the NAT forwarding it (you still need to configure it to use that port though).

So all I need to do is forward "14899" and using UDP will be fine for me? If so then great, because I've been using TCP since 2001 due to the fact that I've shared my connection with my brother since who also used to play Graal.

Edit- I forwarded the port and unchecked UDP. I re-opened Graal and wow. Everyone is moving smoother now, I can hear people's microphones, and im sure they see me less choppy. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. TCP is too choppy. :D

Devil 12-05-2006 02:16 AM

People use to say clicking it would make you lag less.

I don't know, it really didn't make any difference.

CheeToS2 12-05-2006 03:24 AM

Hmm, have you ever thought of implementing UPnP, Stefan?

Twinny 12-05-2006 04:49 AM

I've had UDP on and the appropriate port forwarded but there is often a couple of players that just freeze when I do this =(.

Infernix 12-05-2006 04:55 AM

Keep UDP off and let those Europeans see you lag.

Crono 12-05-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infernix (Post 1250361)
Keep UDP off and let those Europeans see you lag.

huh?

Magadal 12-05-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheeToS2 (Post 1250337)
Hmm, have you ever thought of implementing UPnP, Stefan?

That would be awesome ^^

MysticX2X 12-05-2006 03:43 PM

Lagging is fun:). It's always nice to see players get mad at you because they can't hit you in a spar.

Skrobo2 12-05-2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticX2X (Post 1250464)
Lagging is fun:). It's always nice to see players get mad at you because they can't hit you in a spar.

That's because you're lame.

Lagging isn't fun. Especially when it's hardware lag due to running dual monitors on a laptop with only 8mb of vram. :( Crono, I'm going to have to get you to help me set mine up the way you did next time you're on UN.

farte6 12-06-2006 03:15 AM

Actually if you lag on graal you just suck, but if your sort of lag only occurs when others are viewing you from their computer then its pretty damn neat. But then again people are to slow to understand to beat lag in spars so they just get frustrated and charge you.

MysticX2X 12-06-2006 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrobo2 (Post 1250552)
That's because you're lame.

Lagging isn't fun. Especially when it's hardware lag due to running dual monitors on a laptop with only 8mb of vram. :( Crono, I'm going to have to get you to help me set mine up the way you did next time you're on UN.

Nah im not lame. Its just funny when people get pissed off they lose in spars:). Sux 4 u.

Skrobo2 12-06-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticX2X (Post 1250674)
Nah im not lame. Its just funny when people get pissed off they lose in spars:). Sux 4 u.

If you lag, you shouldn't be sparring. I hardly ever spar, pk, or play events when I'm running dual monitors. Partly from the hardware lag I experience and partly due to the fact that when I have my other monitor on, I'm working.