Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Unholy Nation Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   New Management (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134258412)

SwimChao 03-17-2010 12:19 AM

New Management

There's not much for me to say. I'm not going to try to vindicate myself. Allegedly, the PWA made a 3 to 1 vote to remove me from management. I made too many promises, and didn't follow through enough.

Backdraft was their selected replacement.

I don't know what I'll do in regards to Graal yet, if any of you were curious.

Nataxo 03-17-2010 12:21 AM

Aww you were a cool manager :/ always nice to me.

Sad to see you go. Farewell!

and good luck to the new manager

Crono 03-17-2010 12:22 AM

idc what they say, you were the best manager un has had in a long time

Imperialistic 03-17-2010 12:24 AM

best manager since hoyt1134

SwimChao 03-17-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nataxo (Post 1563010)
You could help @ classic iPhone :P

I was working graphics there in my free time, when I had the teams working on their projects. I told Xor I didn't have enough time once things started to double up for the release of the achievement system. He said he'd move me to a GP or something, but I ended up fired.

So be it.

Thank you anyway.

Vima 03-17-2010 12:28 AM

I don't support this. Streety has been one of the few Managers on UN who have actually contributed something to it. Not like all the other Managers (not going to name any names). The Managers who never cared about releasing things when it actually had an decent playercount.

Deophite18 03-17-2010 12:35 AM

My two cents:

While I think Backdraft is an all around okay guy, I am very skeptical at how he will do as Manager. He has the right attitude of an admin (non corruptible), however he lacks a lot of experience. Based on my personal experiences with him, I think he still had a LOT to learn in his previous position as GP Chief. He doesn't really know the ins and outs of RC, and now he has twice as many rights and ten times the responsibility. I am also afraid he has no idea on how to approach new developments and manage the team as a whole. And now that it is his responsibility all eyes are on him. Regardless, I guess only time will tell. Good luck and cya Streety.

Imperialistic 03-17-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deophite18 (Post 1563016)
My two cents:

While I think Backdraft is an all around okay guy, I am very skeptical at how he will do as Manager. He has the right attitude of an admin (non corruptible), however he lacks a lot of experience. Based on my personal experiences with him, I think he still had a LOT to learn in his previous position as GP Chief. He doesn't really know the ins and outs of RC, and now he has twice as many rights and ten times the responsibility. I am also afraid he has no idea on how to approach new developments and manage the team as a whole. And now that it is his responsibility all eyes are on him. Guess only time will tell. Good luck and cya Streety.

I agree with this 100%

SwimChao 03-17-2010 12:42 AM

That's what I told Bell when she proposed several weeks ago that I move to development, and make someone else manager. She said that Backdraft would be a good replacement, and I agreed, but said that I wasn't planning on resigning yet. I believe I also told her that when I do decide to resign, Backdraft is the person I would take the time to train.

I just didn't have the nerve to stay on RC after the PMs she sent me. Call me selfish, but I'm only human.

Luda 03-17-2010 12:46 AM

Could someone please fill me in on what Streety fully released? He was a player friendly manager so I can see why people are hating that he has been fired but does anyone have any legit facts of what he actually did productive? Even if it is one or two things, think about how long he's been manager, don't you think more stuff should of been released?

Streety don't get me wrong, you're a good guy but quit whining and subliminally asking for sympathy and just move on. Everyone else, stop the ****riding. Fact is fact.

FuManchu 03-17-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vima (Post 1563015)
I don't support this. Streety has been one of the few Managers on UN who have actually contributed something to it.

Streety contributed... what, exacty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deophite18 (Post 1563016)
My two cents:

While I think Backdraft is an all around okay guy, I am very skeptical at how he will do as Manager. He has the right attitude of an admin (non corruptible), however he lacks a lot of experience. Based on my personal experiences with him, I think he still had a LOT to learn in his previous position as GP Chief. He doesn't really know the ins and outs of RC, and now he has twice as many rights and ten times the responsibility. I am also afraid he has no idea on how to approach new developments and manage the team as a whole. And now that it is his responsibility all eyes are on him.

RC isn't really that hard to navigate and learn. You raise very valid points but it's honesty not that hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda (Post 1563020)
He was a player friendly manager

"player friendly"? How do you define player friendly? He was downright notorious for putting players off.

Anyway, after the streak of bad Managers, hopefully BD can pull the staff team together and shape the server up.

Vima 03-17-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda (Post 1563020)
Could someone please fill me in on what Streety fully released? He was a player friendly manager so I can see why people are hating that he has been fired but does anyone have any legit facts of what he actually did productive? Even if it is one or two things, think about how long he's been manager, don't you think more stuff should of been released?

I haven't had the time to be on Unholy Nation so much the past months, but I think I've seen enough to be able to say that he is one of the few managers who have contributed something to UN. For Example: He have hosted many holiday events, some of them were really well planned I think, making sure that new events being released and being able to manage the staff.

A lot of people here should shush, you don't know how it is to be an manager on a server. Streety have started a few projects, like the pet system and achivement system that for me is a sign that he have done something, yes they are not completed. Is it his fault? No.
At the end of the day it's the staff fault. If the scripters were active enough, if the lats were active enough. There wouldn't have been this much delay.

Could anyone tell me, what did Spryte, Sub-Zero, WiKKiD, Malinko, NeoJenova... I mean the list could get looong, contribute to UN? When they were managing the server had a stable playercount and had loads of developement staff eager to work. What did they do? Nothing. When Streety took over the server it was allready in the hole.

Imperialistic 03-17-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vima (Post 1563026)
I haven't had the time to be on Unholy Nation so much the past months, but I think I've seen enough to be able to say that he is one of the few managers who have contributed something to UN. For Example: He have hosted many holiday events, some of them were really well planned I think, making sure that new events being released and being able to manage the staff.

A lot of people here should shush, you don't know how it is to be an manager on a server. Streety have started a few projects, like the pet system and achivement system that for me is a sign that he have done something, yes they are not completed. Is it his fault? No.
At the end of the day it's the staff fault. If the scripters were active enough, if the lats were active enough. There wouldn't have been this much delay.

Could anyone tell me, what did Spryte, Sub-Zero, WiKKiD, Malinko, NeoJenova... I mean the list could get looong, contribute to UN? When they were managing the server had a stable playercount and had loads of developement staff eager to work. What did they do? Nothing. When Streety took over the server it was allready in the hole.

Sub-Zero - He helped alot with scripting projects

NeoJenova - Uhh, he single-handedly remade the gmap and was a big role in development.

Malinko - Was horrible, but yet again.. he did release a lot of content that is still used to this day

p.s. you're forgetting the other 10 managers on UN xD

SwimChao 03-17-2010 01:15 AM

I just wanna throw it out there, that I only posted this because they hadn't made a news post about it on UN yet.

I was getting PMs from people asking if it was true.

pluto 03-17-2010 01:16 AM

i never saw this coming.....

Luda 03-17-2010 01:18 AM

What is the managers purpose? To manage the server and the staff, if he did that correct then he would of been a good manager. Cool, he started the pet system and never finished it! Right on! Achievement system, whats that? No one is speaking about Spryte, WiKKiD, Malinko or Neo Jenova because they are no longer managers and for their own individual reasons.

fowlplay4 03-17-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuManchu (Post 1563024)
RC isn't really that hard to navigate and learn. You raise very valid points but it's honesty not that hard.

Learning RC and how to effectively manage rights, and work in NC isn't that hard at all but getting projects done properly without having to go about every aspect on your own can be very difficult and he will be running into situations like that if he's going to want to get things done.

SwimChao 03-17-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luda (Post 1563030)
What is the managers purpose? To manage the server and the staff, if he did that correct then he would of been a good manager. Cool, he started the pet system and never finished it! Right on! Achievement system, whats that? No one is speaking about Spryte, WiKKiD, Malinko or Neo Jenova because they are no longer managers and for their own individual reasons.

Just another fyi, guys. I asked Gamerkid to carry on with the achievement system as we planned. It's planned release date was April 1st, along with some silliness to go with it.

I think Backdraft will encourage it's finish.

MysticX2X 03-17-2010 02:06 AM

I think Streety was a cool person (most times), and was better at PR issues. However, I was not a fan of the directions or so called plans he took in development direction.

I am a bit skeptical in regards to Backdraft being placed at Manager, considering he hasn't been with UN that long, but from talking with him the past several weeks, I believe he can bring UN to a more brighter future.

Elizabeth 03-17-2010 02:23 AM

I think this is completely ridiculous. Streety is most definitely one of the best managers we've had in a very long time, and I don't think that Backdraft is qualified for manager position.

Streety was a stable manager, I think that the next managers following his removal will quit in a small amount of time from pressure. He could handle the pressure and was used to it, he did a lot of development also.

I think that Backdraft doesn't do any development.. aren't managers supposed to be a big part with GFX and scripting? I don't see what he will bring to the table x_x

He should at least be a part of the staff team, perhaps he could be GAT admin again? From what I hear, there was no warning about it. I think that the PWAs should have told him what he was doing wrong and to fix it instead of taking immediate action.

I really think this is a bad decision. D:

Crono 03-17-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1563042)
aren't managers supposed to be a big part with GFX and scripting?

nop

coreys 03-17-2010 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imperialistic (Post 1563027)
Malinko - Was horrible, but yet again.. he did release a lot of content that is still used to this day

A large majority of that content was stolen, mostly from Babylon, which Streety has been nothing but professional about getting removed.

I don't really play UN, but Streety has always been ok in my book, and he seemed like a competent Manager to me. Backdraft, what little I've seen of him, seems like he will do well too, though.

Adios, Streety.

LordSquirt 03-17-2010 02:38 AM

I don't script/make graphics/make level, yet I'm manager of Era. Therefore, no you don't need development experience.

That doesn't mean i'm totally useless though, you learn things as you go on, so it's hard not to catch on to some things.

Imperialistic 03-17-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordSquirt (Post 1563050)
I don't script/make graphics/make level, yet I'm manager of Era. Therefore, no you don't need development experience.

That doesn't mean i'm totally useless though, you learn things as you go on, so it's hard not to catch on to some things.

You have Chris Vimes as Dev Admin, who needs a development-smart Manager XD!

knightfire35 03-17-2010 02:50 AM

While you did not tend to some promises, you still contributed a lot. I would have liked to see what you could have accomplished had you continued in this position. You were one of the best managers UN has had in a while, at least from my point of few, and I'm sure most of the UN community will agree. I don't know the new manager that well, I've seen him around from time to time, but I can't say I'm sure he'll make a good manager, but hey, never know.

Take care, hopefully you'll stick around UN.

FuManchu 03-17-2010 03:06 AM

Vima.. most of the things released on UN were from last year. If anything was new, it was given to them by people from other servers. (i.e. Horses were scripted by Tig)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1563042)
I think this is completely ridiculous. Streety is most definitely one of the best managers we've had in a very long time, and I don't think that Backdraft is qualified for manager position.

Streety was a stable manager, I think that the next managers following his removal will quit in a small amount of time from pressure. He could handle the pressure and was used to it, he did a lot of development also.

I think that Backdraft doesn't do any development.. aren't managers supposed to be a big part with GFX and scripting? I don't see what he will bring to the table x_x

He should at least be a part of the staff team, perhaps he could be GAT admin again? From what I hear, there was no warning about it. I think that the PWAs should have told him what he was doing wrong and to fix it instead of taking immediate action.

I really think this is a bad decision. D:

I'm .. sorry.. but you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because Streety is one of the few people that talk(ed) to you doesn't mean he's one of the best.

Streety couldn't handle being Manager. He went from being a very good and open Admin to being a very private and disclosed Manager.

Being able to develop =/= ability to Manage.

There was indeed a warning that his job was in danger, and Streety already confirmed this.

See how he said Bell came on and proposed he move into Development and let someone else be Manager? Big ****ing hint there.

It was a great decision. I just wished GK was made Manager instead but Backdraft will still be great.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I have anything personal against, Streety.

knightfire, how did Streety contribute anything?

Hiro 03-17-2010 03:10 AM

wow this is ****ing stupid. it seemed like things were just getting going for streety, that he was just getting a hold of the actual development points and seeing where UN needed improvement, and the PWA fires him and puts, from my experiences, a egotistical friend-monger? the guy hasn't even been playing for more than three/four years, hasn't held any staff position other than GP (to which i considered him to be a bad one), and now he's manager?

for what purpose is this switch? what does the PWA hope to accomplish with this move? what exactly was streety doing wrong that needed him to be forcibly removed? this is ridiculous, and i didn't even like streety as manager: but don't replace him with someone worse! i mean, obviously the PWA isn't going to come into this thread and explain themselves to the likes of a simpleton-complainer like myself (because that makes every point i make invalid), but why can't you guys make some moves that people can actually get behind and approve of? if the problem was updates and development, then remove the manager of valikorlia and n-pulse too: we haven't seen any real updates out of them for way longer than streety has postponed

i swear i wouldn't play this stupid classic server if the only other option wasn't more terrible

FuManchu 03-17-2010 03:21 AM

"egotistical friend-monger"
I've personally seen Backdraft publicly threaten his best friend on the game with jails.

"for what purpose is this switch?"
If you go to Streety's "thank you" thread on the UN forums, I feel as though Rufus' posts about him sums up his management quite nicely.

knightfire35 03-17-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuManchu (Post 1563057)
knightfire, how did Streety contribute anything?

I guess that was a wrong word choice, I meant that he contributed to UN as a whole, not content wise, but he made sure everything was running smoothly. I think he tried to promise too much, and that's what kind of did him in. If he hadn't promised all those things, and focused on getting something released then maybe it would have went over well. I do agree that there are better management options, but he had a lot planned and would have liked to see how those projects turned out.

Elizabeth 03-17-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

I'm .. sorry.. but you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because Streety is one of the few people that talk(ed) to you doesn't mean he's one of the best.

I do know what I'm talking about, actually. :) Who are you to to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about?

I've been playing UN for years, I've been through many managers and Streety was definitely one of the best that I've seen.

Quote:

Streety couldn't handle being Manager. He went from being a very good and open Admin to being a very private and disclosed Manager.

He couldn't handle it? He managed the server for over a year. He proved that he could handle it.

Quote:

how did Streety contribute anything?

Well, a completely re-done fishing system was released. He responded to every PM which most managers fail to do. We have had a very small GAT team, but he helped out. The ski-hill at Christmas was a huge success, not to mention numerous quests he made. :) If he had have been manager for two more weeks, he would have released the achievement system. After that would be the pet system.
Good things come to those who wait.

Hiro 03-17-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuManchu (Post 1563060)
"egotistical friend-monger"
I've personally seen Backdraft publicly threaten his best friend on the game with jails.

"for what purpose is this switch?"
If you go to Streety's "thank you" thread on the UN forums, I feel as though Rufus' posts about him sums up his management quite nicely.

how is this any different from any other server? why is streety being removed but others are not, and for the exact same ****?

Venom_Fish 03-17-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordSquirt (Post 1563050)

Maybe they should say to be a "good" manager you need developmental skills. Haha, just kidding. Not about you being a bad manager but about needing Dev Skills to Manage.

Anyways, I never saw this coming; Streety. I always said you were currently the best management on a Classic Server. I admired UN staff's organization and competence alot, to be honest. It wasn't in comparison to the greatest, but even standalone, it functioned smoothly under you. For not fulfilling promisises? Get realistic, its politics. We don't expect people we ask to be placed in power to fullfill all their promises. Atleast you geared toward some if not most of them, you kept the server under control and populated. No abuse, if so; never heard of it. I'd have to say, this sounds really unfair on the PWA's part.

Backdraft is uncorruptable as far as I've seen, but I don't know him very well. So who knows; good luck.

FuManchu 03-17-2010 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightfire35 (Post 1563061)
I guess that was a wrong word choice, I meant that he contributed to UN as a whole, not content wise, but he made sure everything was running smoothly.

I can agree with you to an extent. At least Streety wasn't corrupt o_o as far as I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 1563062)
I do know what I'm talking about, actually. :) Who are you to to tell me I have no idea what I'm talking abouut

no you dont streety was a bad manager. Did you see my poll? Less than 20% of the voters disliked him. Whenever he has such a low approval rating, there's obviously something wrong

Quote:

I've been playing UN for years, I've been through many managers and Streety was definitely one of the best that I've seen.

"i've played for a few years.. i must know what i'm talking about!!!" isn't valid logic.

Quote:

He couldn't handle it? He managed the server for over a year. He proved that he could handle it.
Can you not read? He clearly couldn't handle being a Manager which is why he had such a drastic change in how he handled players. I think Spryte was better with players than Streety was. Spryte would just ignore you but Streety would pretend to be your friend and act like he'd get something done. At least Spryte didn't lie.

Quote:

One example would be the completely re-done fishing system. :) If he had have been manager for two more weeks, he would have released the achievement system. After that would be the pet system.
Good things come to those who wait.
Achievement system is mostly done by GK, if not all of it.
The fishing system was scripted by Codein.. you know, the scripts that weren't copied/pasted from the mining system.

Fishing was the only thing Streety ever got done with UN staff in his 1+ year of management.

Hiro 03-17-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuManchu (Post 1563065)
I can agree with you to an extent. At least Streety wasn't corrupt o_o as far as I know.

no you dont streety was a bad manager. Did you see my poll? Less than 20% of the voters disliked him. Whenever he has such a low approval rating, there's obviously something wrong

"i've played for a few years.. i must know what i'm talking about!!!" isn't valid logic.

Can you not read? He clearly couldn't handle being a Manager which is why he had such a drastic change in how he handled players. I think Spryte was better with players than Streety was. Spryte would just ignore you but Streety would pretend to be your friend and act like he'd get something done. At least Spryte didn't lie.

The fishing system was scripted by Codein.. you know, the scripts that weren't copied/pasted from the mining system.

Fishing was the only thing Streety ever got done with UN staff in his 1+ year of management.

let's see you come up with one argument as to how backdraft is going to be any different. and remember: he can't develop on his own at all. i'd like to see the PWA come up with any similar notion that swayed their 3-1 vote to remove streety as well, especially given that they never log onto player (or RC for more than 10 minutes) and don't know anything about what's going on on UN

been playing graal for over 10 years now, and i've never seen the PWA remove a manager for a "lack of promises being kept"

Elizabeth 03-17-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

no you dont streety was a bad manager. Did you see my poll? Less than 20% of the voters disliked him. Whenever he has such a low approval rating, there's obviously something

There could be multiple reasons for players to vote no. Maybe they had a bad background with him, maybe they don't like his personality, maybe they don't get along with him, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was a bad manager. It means that the players didn't like him.

Quote:

It sounds pretty valid to me; I witnessed his management.

Quote:

LOL Spryte was better with players? I'm pretty sure Spryte was the worst manager we've had. She'd log on RC, chat, and log off. Streety was friendly to players and was very patient. As for Spryte not lying, she didn't talk to the server. How could she lie if she didn't talk?

Quote:

read edited version :)

FuManchu 03-17-2010 03:42 AM

Whenever a Manager is in position for over a year and only legitimately releases one thing (Fishing), then there is a huge problem ^_^

UC servers can develop less in a year than UN has under Streety.
When GK had his own ET Dev team, they generated more content than Streety ever did with an entire staff team.
Zodiac and Era develop more in a week than UN does in a year (especially Zodiac)

Streety uses silly excuses such as "lack of devs", and while that's true, why can all the other major servers develop but UN can't? Because Streety has no idea what he's doing.

There's a reason Bell proposed he stepped down.. He didn't listen and look what happened.

Edit: Okay Elizabeth, please note all of Streety's accomplishments as Manager.
So far we have..
- Destruction of the PR teams.
- A simple fishing system.
- Leaving UN in somewhat of a mess (leaving players to deal with their woes while he promised to do something about their problems but then just ran around on staff boots)

Care to add on?

Elizabeth 03-17-2010 03:44 AM

Have you seen our staff list? Our development teams have been going through crisis for the past while o_o

FuManchu 03-17-2010 03:45 AM

We have a full LAT team, a few NATs, and.. well, we had a GAT.
UN was fully capable of getting things done just like Zodiac and Era. Streety just held the server back, tbh.

Elizabeth 03-17-2010 03:47 AM

LAT, NAT and GAT team just hired, yet there are still no GATs. :)

Absolut_Crono 03-17-2010 03:49 AM

All I can say is lol to this argument. I dont even feel like addressing everything that is wrong with this topic, but in short:

Fumanchu, how can you claim he destroyed the PR teams, and yet not argue against a manager who was the admin of one of those teams?

Quote:

Fumanchu again, how can you complain that a manager didnt release a system because they didn't do all the work? He was the manager not the micromanager of server projects.

Anyways I'm off this topic. Hopefully it gets closed soon enough since nothing productive will ever come out of it.