Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Graphic Design (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Graal Cards (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134260284)

Demisis_P2P 08-22-2010 03:26 PM

Graal Cards

Made these today as a sort of proof-of-concept, to try and convince myself that a Graal themed YuGiOh card game style server could work.
I have a wordpad open that I've been writing card ideas down in and so far I have a bunch of card ideas sorted into various decks (incl. Human, Zorbi, Lizardon/Dragon, Bomy, Graveyard/Vampire, and general Equipment/Spell cards).

http://i37.tinypic.com/2j16g4w.pnghttp://i38.tinypic.com/2zyaofr.pnghttp://i34.tinypic.com/fxyqms.png

This one is meant to be a holographic on the front.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2mzfp0y.pnghttp://i38.tinypic.com/24v1dec.png

Rave_J 08-22-2010 03:32 PM

ya i can see it working for the younger crowd.

Dumdumdidi 08-22-2010 04:00 PM

exactly. graal is filled with a much more mature audience. Doubt this will appeal to them

Fulg0reSama 08-22-2010 04:00 PM

I can see it working as a server if it was more than collecting the cards.

cbk1994 08-22-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumdumdidi (Post 1595763)
graal is filled with a much more mature audience.

wat

Demisis_P2P 08-22-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama (Post 1595764)
I can see it working as a server if it was more than collecting the cards.

Collecting them would invariably be part of the challenge, but the focus would be on battling against other people and building battle decks with different strategies and tactics.
Some of the rarer cards could be available only through mini-games (had an idea for a mini-game sort of like Memory) or raffles, etc. And there could still be quests, although they would probably just be puzzle based.

kia345 08-22-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumdumdidi (Post 1595763)
exactly. graal is filled with a much more mature audience. Doubt this will appeal to them

I would play the **** out of a yu-gi-oh server. Not even ironically.

You have a childhood, go embrace it.

Dumdumdidi 08-22-2010 05:31 PM

well, i wouldn't, trading card games were never my thing.

evilchaseofdoom 08-22-2010 06:00 PM

Before Classic went dead, Thor released a card game. Although it wasn't like Yu-Gi-Oh at all it was still fun and it consisted of collecting them. I can see this work, but I don't see the crowd being as big as say Zodiac or Era. Also I like your cards they look really good.

Fulg0reSama 08-22-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilchaseofdoom (Post 1595785)
Before Classic went dead, Thor released a card game. Although it wasn't like Yu-Gi-Oh at all it was still fun and it consisted of collecting them. I can see this work, but I don't see the crowd being as big as say Zodiac or Era. Also I like your cards they look really good.

Uhm wasn't Thor's card game based off of the FF8 card game?

Rufus 08-22-2010 06:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama (Post 1595791)
Uhm wasn't Thor's card game based off of the FF8 card game?

It was DC and Night's card game, and yes that is what it was based off.

Attached some examples:

Fulg0reSama 08-22-2010 06:37 PM

I thought so, Also Master Li is a big earred fat ass.

Rufus 08-22-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama (Post 1595795)
I thought so, Also Master Li is a big earred fat ass.

Not anymore apparently!

LordSquirt 08-22-2010 06:59 PM

I would love to play a server like this, card games ftw

Also, I thought DC should have tried to make his card game for the iPhone since that has a larger playerbase. you could sell card booster packs and everything like that and make the $$$

Fulg0reSama 08-22-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordSquirt (Post 1595804)
I would love to play a server like this, card games ftw

Also, I thought DC should have tried to make his card game for the iPhone since that has a larger playerbase. you could sell card booster packs and everything like that and make the $$$

I would think that those who know where the game is from would love to see SquareEnix take this due to the fact SquareSoft (SquareEnix's old name before the merge) would rather play the FF8 game or just an overall Final Fantasy edition of the game on their iPhone online.

Dnegel 08-22-2010 07:52 PM

Omg love this. :D

scooter123 08-22-2010 10:21 PM

Sounds awesome. Keep working on it! Maybe it could just be implemented into Classic.

Seeya 08-22-2010 10:22 PM

Oh my god, someone make this server. I play Yu-Gi-Oh on my DS a lot, i'd play Graal Yu-Gi-Oh constantly... especially if you could buy packs, get random cards (could even be for gelats :o) and then trade etc..

You could steal a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh's card ideas too.

LordSquirt 08-22-2010 10:44 PM

rather have as iphone server plz

Fulg0reSama 08-22-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeya (Post 1595844)

Lawl.

Demisis_P2P 08-23-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeya (Post 1595844)
Oh my god, someone make this server. I play Yu-Gi-Oh on my DS a lot, i'd play Graal Yu-Gi-Oh constantly... especially if you could buy packs, get random cards (could even be for gelats :o) and then trade etc..

Yeah, the Yu-Gi-Oh games are what made me want to make this. An MMO card game would be pretty sweet.

And I have been stealing ideas from YuGiOh cards.

Sister Gertrude = Dian Keto Cure Master
Golden Glove = Infinite Cards
Superbomb = Trap Hole
Hera's Tear = Monster Reborn

Problem is that it would be incredibly hard to script. Think of all the checks and calculations that would need to be done every turn. Before every card is drawn, or played, or attacks. All the possible effects that cards can have.

Once it was scripted though, it wouldn't be hard to make new cards every single day and release them. And there could be competitions on the server or on the forums to decide new cards. Wouldn't take long to get 1000+ cards.

And if it's possible it would be neat to do tie-ins with other servers as well. Like reaching level 60 of a certain class on Zodiac gets you a card of that class. Getting the Lizardon shield on Classic gets you a Lizardon card. Getting 1600 spar rating on UN gets you an Equipment card. Etc.

scooter123 08-23-2010 03:43 AM

Ya Yu-Gi-Oh was the ****. It's actually very cool, sadly I got rid of all my cards. I was a master at it.

If you've ever watched Yu-Gi-Oh, maybe the server could host tournaments for money to buy some cards or something. Obviously there would need to be tons of cards making endless strategies. Please make this. It's a great idea, I could see it on the Playerworlds List.

And the cards shouldn't be obtained from other things on other servers. It should be an independent kind of way to get more cards. Not from other Graal servers.

haro41 08-23-2010 07:23 PM

i always wanted to see a card based server go up. i wrote up a lil idea for one with some sketches a few years back.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=74580

Dnegel 08-23-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haro41 (Post 1596068)
i always wanted to see a card based server go up. i wrote up a lil idea for one with some sketches a few years back.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=74580

Wow, looks pretty neat. :oo:

Should make a server like this. ^^

Seeya 09-20-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P (Post 1595934)
text.

Sister Gertrude = Dian Keto Cure Master
Golden Glove = Infinite Cards
Superbomb = Trap Hole
Hera's Tear = Monster Reborn

text.

great ideas for those cards.

honestly, for the idea of all the checks etc every turn, you could make it a more free-action game.. it'd be hard to deal with some players making dumb moves and breaking rules, but in the end it'd be the easiest way. You could let players adjust their own hitpoints, as if a player attacks them they say /minus 1000 hp

in the end it'd work out alright, with minimal scripting, and you could have ratings on players, so if a player quits out or is a nub players give him bad ratings on his public profile, so people know not to play with him or if they do he'll be bothersome.

but yeahh, i don't know. i think the trading cards aspect and everything would just be great.. something fresh for graal.

Precise 09-20-2010 05:28 PM

Knowing how Graal works and how immature the kids are the server would most likely be a troll fest/goon show if proper script/rule-set implementation didn't exist.. :(

Seeya 09-20-2010 05:30 PM

Of course, but there will be mature players. And if everyone has a ranking, and you lose ranking by backing out or losing.. then you just don't duel the nubs.

Precise 09-20-2010 05:40 PM

That could work and would be really cool to see.

Seeya 09-20-2010 05:57 PM

I agree. I played some stupid online yugioh a year or two ago, for like a week.. it was the same idea. If someone attacks you, you manually do your life-points etc.

of course you found noobs but people got reputations in there i guess. the only thing that game was missing was an economy, you could just pick any card you wanted and put it in your deck.

Precise 09-20-2010 06:17 PM

I'm all for change, but like you said; there would need to be restrictions on cards and requirements. It wouldn't be fun if cards had no worth on the server.

MagikMasterMind 09-28-2010 05:51 AM

I'd see this working with ratings. You fight players of your own rating or if you wait too long to have a match, you can fight someone challenging you.

You should also be able to select your kind of game (lightning, Regular, sudden death etc.)

E.g
I'd see a stat board for every game type

you start with a rate of 1600
you win - depending on the oponent's rating your rating grows. If you play a 1800, you will grow more than if you played a 1625 in other words.

You lose - according to your opponent's rating, you either lose a bit or a lot.

Seeya 09-28-2010 05:58 AM

Meh. I say there are booster packs. Of course lets say "Era m4a1" gives you +700 attack and returns to your hand if it is destroyed (dumb card name), that would be a common.

On the other hand, a strong, two sacrafice card, lets call him blue eyes white dragoon, would come out of packs in a 5% chance. You can get 7 cards per pack, and you can gain these points to buy cards or trade with other players for their cards by winning events or lets say "Congratulations, you've reached 500 rating. Heres 500 points." and 500 points can buy four packs. Then, you have 20 different pack choices where the prestige packs are 500 points a pack.. or the "rare" packs, where Events Masters can host off.

I don't know, theres a lot of good ideas that can come from this. An economy must be had, there can't be something like "if you have 2k rating you can use this card" or obviously there will be boosters trying to level there accounts on noobs. It has to be reasonable.

MagikMasterMind 09-28-2010 06:22 AM

By rating I was more thinking about a competition over a "i haz 2k pts n use dis card"

would need moderation to prevent double logging/ free rate given.

Seeya 09-28-2010 06:51 AM

that's dumb imo, i don't want ranking meaning who is best. i'd be bored by that server in a month, if i had a deck named "unholy beasts" with the best cards in the game in it, and then i could TRADE that deck to people for everything they own, money, and cards.. that'd be incredibly fun.

and without a doubt you'd start w/ atleast 100 cards so not everyone chooses the same starter deck.

Demisis_P2P 12-02-2013 11:40 AM

Blizzard made this and now they're going to make billions of dollars. Shoulda listened guys.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/sta...med.jpg?v=58-5

Telling you now the NEXT big thing is gonna be 2.5d FP2 MMORPGs, get on it.

Cubical 12-02-2013 11:58 AM

They had a huge following that's the only reason it worked.

Xloria 12-25-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P (Post 1595774)
Collecting them would invariably be part of the challenge, but the focus would be on battling against other people and building battle decks with different strategies and tactics.
Some of the rarer cards could be available only through mini-games (had an idea for a mini-game sort of like Memory) or raffles, etc. And there could still be quests, although they would probably just be puzzle based.

Me likey. You could like stake up a card in the battle too? and maybe even have a grandpa that you need to go to who owns a card shop and than that one kid throws your cards off the boat uhhrg

no but really I like the idea, and I believe it could work, but than I ask myself what could possibly be a new core server to Graal? it seems no matter how hard you try, most of the player base will refuse new servers.

I know this is old but if anyone is still lookin at bringing this up... I approve.

Stephen 12-25-2013 05:56 AM

The "Card Game" genre is very popular on mobile, especially in Japan. I personally have very little appreciation for these sort of card games and collecting them - I assumed when Pokemon cards were popular it was just a trend.

How many here actually enjoy it? If you do, can you say why? I've never understood.

Crono 12-25-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1724476)
How many here actually enjoy it? If you do, can you say why? I've never understood.

I like stomping tryhards with troll builds, but it's semi-pay2win and luck based. Some will argue that it's skill, but really it isn't.

Stephen 12-26-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1724490)
I like stomping tryhards with troll builds, but it's semi-pay2win and luck based. Some will argue that it's skill, but really it isn't.

It seems like what you enjoy in it is probably far from the normal player, although I do appreciate your insight. Can anyone offer some more insight?