Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your opinion (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Developing should be free for servers that are staff-only (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87458)

Pelikano 08-19-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1516310)
My 2 cents:
Please play and develope for Graal if you have fun with it, don't get a headache by making weird business proposals. We know ourself that the best way to make money with Graal would be to take some successful server, stop development, making it Flash or so, and make tons of advertising (advertising for and in the game). But that wouldn't be Graal. The interesting part of Graal is that the players can take part, can submit their own graphics for heads, become FAQ, get RC, make their own server, work on interesting projects. We currently have a clear plan for Graal, that is releasing v6 in the near future to make the game run fast and bring a lot of new possibilities for players and developers. But we know that Graal will not make us rich, we are happy if the subscriptions can pay for the costs of running it. That's why we take the opportunities and try to expand into other areas, including iPhone and mobile devices where the future of computing and gaming lies, and use our experience with online game.

intrepend it how you want

fowlplay4 08-19-2009 06:25 PM

"iPhone and mobile devices where the future of computing and gaming lies"

I hope not..

Crow 08-19-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowlplay4 (Post 1516349)
"iPhone and mobile devices where the future of computing and gaming lies"

I hope not..

Of course not. That's complete bull****. Mobile gaming is a minority, and that won't change either.

LoneAngelIbesu 08-19-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow (Post 1516363)
Of course not. That's complete bull****. Mobile gaming is a minority, and that won't change either.

Doesn't mean money cannot still be made! :cool:

I "intrepend" what Stefan said as, "Hey, Graal is a development platform. We'll provide major core updates from time to time, but our goal isn't to create a game, but to allow you to create your own games. We don't envision profiting off of GraalOnline, because it was never meant to be some huge, money-making MMO. (So stop trying to push your business models on us, unless you're a degree-touting professional businessperson!)

"To ensure that we remain a viable company, we're focusing our efforts on mobile gaming, an emerging market with new possibilities. You may not like this, but I'm pretty sure you'd not like not having Graal even more. Caio!"

Anyways, this proposition has some neat aspects. Developing for free is a neat idea, but you have to find a way to offset the monetary loss of people not paying to upgrade their accounts. That's where you'll lose most companies.

Vman13x 08-21-2009 12:17 AM

Exactly how I interpreted it, or well most of it.

Clockwork 08-21-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crow (Post 1516363)

This isn't true. Many more people have phones and such rather than consoles, and games on the very popular iphone and ipod touch are purchased by a vast amount of people!

Last I recall, it only took the Tank game creator ~3-4 months before he quit his job and lived off of the loads of 99c purchases people had made, giving him at the time ~$240,000

Darklux 08-21-2009 04:05 PM

Funny but unrealistic idea, as development playerworlds probaply quite bring in the money.

James 08-21-2009 07:34 PM

Just look how many people have downloaded Bomber Online or whatever for the iPhone and multiply that by $3.

Darklux 08-21-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 1517185)
Just look how many people have downloaded Bomber Online or whatever for the iPhone and multiply that by $3.

Yeah, but they won't be willing to totally kill graals profitability, as hosting is probaply an income factor.
Most playerworlds never reach anything and many people would wan't one, can't see this working.

salesman 08-22-2009 03:21 PM

I wonder how many people actually upgrade for hosted servers alone, and I wonder if a system such as the one fowlplay suggested:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowlplay4 (Post 1515873)
There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.

would not be more profitable. I obviously don't have the resources to research such a thing, but I think it's definitely something Graal should look into if they truly care about the developers and "realize graal isn't going to make them rich".

Pelikano 08-22-2009 03:23 PM

They don't give a **** about Graal anymore, god damnit!

LoneAngelIbesu 08-22-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelikano (Post 1517515)
They don't give a **** about Graal anymore, god damnit!

Do you really think that "they" are needed for you to make your server?

By now, we get it. You can stop spamming this little nugget in every thread regarding GraalOnline.

Pelikano 08-22-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu (Post 1517537)
Do you really think that "they" are needed for you to make your server?

By now, we get it. You can stop spamming this little nugget in every thread regarding GraalOnline.

It seems that it's needed to be spammed into every thread regarding GraalOnline.

And people are crying about them being needed in their servers.

LoneAngelIbesu 08-22-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelikano (Post 1517538)
And people are crying about them being needed in their servers.

No, some guy is saying that he doesn't want to pay for a server that will never reach the light of day.

"They" are not needed for me to go in to Valikorlia and script trade, shops, and battle systems. "They" are not needed for me to open up GraalEditor and make some levels. "They" are only needed when I want to be annoying and blame my own incompetence on "them".

This isn't a terrible idea, but having you as a spokesperson for any suggestion is.

xXziroXx 08-22-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu (Post 1517548)
No, some guy is saying that he doesn't want to pay for a server that will never reach the light of day.

"They" are not needed for me to go in to Valikorlia and script trade, shops, and battle systems. "They" are not needed for me to open up GraalEditor and make some levels. "They" are only needed when I want to be annoying and blame my own incompetence on "them".

This isn't a terrible idea, but having you as a spokesperson for any suggestion is.

This is one of the better posts I've read for a while - people need to realize that they aren't completely incompetent without CJ holding their hand.

Use the tools you've been given, instead of complaining about the things that doesn't exist.