Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Level Design (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gonstruct Feedback (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134258190)

xXziroXx 08-09-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fry (Post 1592356)
the most sane one to use layers that gonstruct is using now appears to be working in v6, so I see no reason to change it back.

It's not working in v6, I've checked several times including just before posting this.

Fry 08-10-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXziroXx (Post 1592382)
It's not working in v6, I've checked several times including just before posting this.

Well okay that sucks, people trying layered levels with v6 mentioned it worked fine. If it doesn't then yeah, as problematic as it becomes, it makes more sense to use an actual transparent tile then. If someone wants to add some kind of way to select a transparent tile (an extra control that displays it, along with a button you can press that lets you click on any tile in the tileset to select a new one), that'd be great. Otherwise I'll do it at some point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktbaloncesto
BUGS
1. When you maximize your screen and click the "add new npc" button, the program crashes

2. Add tiles along the right edge of your screen in any layer other than the base layer. Save and close your level. When you open it again, the tiles appear on the left side of your screen.

ADDITIONS (these are in Graal Editor but not Gonstruct)
1. When you add tiles to your level you should have the ability to click and drag them across your screen.

2. Ability to fill an area with a previously selected tile or group of tiles

Fixed the annoying bugs, thanks for that. What do you mean with your addition 1? Do you mean dragging them into another level tab?
Regarding the second point, you can flood fill with the default tile by right clicking on a set of tiles, flood filling with a group of tiles is on the TODO list, but yeah, don't expect any additions soon, you might be better off using the default level editor.

Edit: Here's the link to 0.2.3

maximus_asinus 08-11-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fry (Post 1592570)
Well okay that sucks, people trying layered levels with v6 mentioned it worked fine. If it doesn't then yeah, as problematic as it becomes, it makes more sense to use an actual transparent tile then. If someone wants to add some kind of way to select a transparent tile (an extra control that displays it, along with a button you can press that lets you click on any tile in the tileset to select a new one), that'd be great. Otherwise I'll do it at some point.

Fixed the annoying bugs, thanks for that. What do you mean with your addition 1? Do you mean dragging them into another level tab?
Regarding the second point, you can flood fill with the default tile by right clicking on a set of tiles, flood filling with a group of tiles is on the TODO list, but yeah, don't expect any additions soon, you might be better off using the default level editor.

Edit: Here's the link to 0.2.3

Thank you Fry, I was experiencing a few of these errors earlier today. Nice to see a fix.

I have a question(s). Since I am not able to test my levels online, I am wondering how layers work in relation to the player. If you're using a layer greater than zero, is it drawn above the player? Or are the layers only drawn above the tiles? Also if I use a blocking tile on layer zero, and an unblocking tile on layer one, can the player walk on it (or vice versa)?

Crono 08-11-2010 09:04 AM

mby i should add the latest version(s) to the op

xXziroXx 08-11-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1592784)
If you're using a layer greater than zero, is it drawn above the player? Or are the layers only drawn above the tiles?

They're just drawn above other layers, the player is drawn on top of it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1592784)
Also if I use a blocking tile on layer zero, and an unblocking tile on layer one, can the player walk on it (or vice versa)?

No, all blocking tiles are considered blocking, no matter on which layer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crono (Post 1592786)
mby i should add the latest version(s) to the op

Yes please. :)

By the way Fry, if you ever get around to it, could you make it so that if you already have Gonstruct open while opening a new level from the desktop or whatever, it pops up in the Gonstruct you already have up rather then opening another window? Would be super awesome to have it work like the default editor like that.

maximus_asinus 08-11-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXziroXx (Post 1592787)
No, all blocking tiles are considered blocking, no matter on which layer.

Thanks for the answers, rep++

also wondering how Graal handles different tile types. You said blocking tiles always block, what about swimming tiles, no blocking tiles, sitting tiles, etc. What takes priority?

xXziroXx 08-11-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1592829)
Thanks for the answers, rep++

also wondering how Graal handles different tile types. You said blocking tiles always block, what about swimming tiles, no blocking tiles, sitting tiles, etc. What takes priority?

I have never tried placing lava tiles on water tiles, so I can't answer that one. Would be interesting to know, I'll give it a go and edit this post.

EDIT: The "effect" on the lowest layer takes priority, other then when it comes to blocking tiles - they always block.

maximus_asinus 08-11-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXziroXx (Post 1592847)
I have never tried placing lava tiles on water tiles, so I can't answer that one. Would be interesting to know, I'll give it a go and edit this post.

EDIT: The "effect" on the lowest layer takes priority, other then when it comes to blocking tiles - they always block.

Very interesting. If I wanted I could take water tiles and place them on layer 0, making everything swimmable? I am not sure how Graal handles transparent tiles, but I could make layer zero a swimming layer, layer one whatever, and layer two a transparent blue tile. I could then modify the swimming gani and create the illusion of swimming in semi shallow areas where the ocean floor can be seen. One could almost recreate the looks of the flooded areas in the LTTP Water Temple. I am very happy to know this.

Loriel 08-11-2010 08:45 PM

I am pretty sure you could to the same thing with setshape2, so if you can come up with a pretty npc-based way to turn some stuff blue, you can dynamically flood and unflood things <:D

Dnegel 08-12-2010 02:25 AM

Would be pretty neat if there where layers that could draw over the player, would make some interesting levels.

cbk1994 08-12-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dnegel (Post 1592973)
Would be pretty neat if there where layers that could draw over the player, would make some interesting levels.

Wrong thread :p

maximus_asinus 08-12-2010 04:07 AM

Is it possible to promote/demote certain tiles on a layer. IE I select a cliff and decide I want it on layer one over layer zero, so I click "promote to layer" or whatnot.

DustyPorViva 08-12-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1593013)
Is it possible to promote/demote certain tiles on a layer. IE I select a cliff and decide I want it on layer one over layer zero, so I click "promote to layer" or whatnot.

You should be able to highlight the tiles and then change the layer and it should move with it.

maximus_asinus 08-12-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyPorViva (Post 1593019)
You should be able to highlight the tiles and then change the layer and it should move with it.

thank you Dusty, that would have never occurred to me!

also, wondering if you ever revised your transparent tileset?

DustyPorViva 08-12-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus_asinus (Post 1593071)
also, wondering if you ever revised your transparent tileset?

Nay. I've noticed a few errors with it but I never got around to fixing it up. If I were to "fix it" I would probably start over from scratch. I dunno.

The problem with editing it is that it's not easy to edit the opaque areas as you can't just eye-drop them. I do have a "raw" back-up without the transparency, but I dunno if I'd want to go that route or just fix it up better from scratch. I made the tileset before Gonstruct even supported layers, so it was mostly all done on a hypothetical level. After working with the layers I have learned quite a bit more and could probably change the tileset for more efficiency.