Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Main Forum (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   New Manager (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84486)

BlackSolider 03-07-2009 08:27 PM

I can agree with bell, who agreed with DC.

MysticX2X 03-07-2009 08:56 PM

I can agree with maximus here.

jacob_bald6225 03-07-2009 08:58 PM

I can agree with Mystic here.

StrykerTFFD 03-07-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristi (Post 1472091)
Not sure why the development team changed a perfectly working stafftime system...

Apparently the GP is case sensitive now in the command. :/

Terazel Tenjin 03-08-2009 01:01 AM

So just to clarify here. The next higher overriding authority to initiate a change in management for the server would be PWA. And that's not going to happen because PWA is acknowledging that everything is fine and dandy with the server, and that the current management is sufficient? Despite all of the player input stating otherwise?

Sure, it's not a democracy nor a tyranny since neither condition is stated in stone to be the status quo, but the facts have to be faced sooner or later. The problems are recognized and stated, the next step is remediation. What's the remediation? The answer from management has been too broad, and as stated by the current Manager himself, he's seeing the input here as a list of problems to remedy but it's a two-way street. Players should have their say and be let in on the overall plan for remediation so they know what to expect.

The biggest problem is that this isn't something that just cropped up.

Remonq 03-08-2009 08:05 PM

a major part of the problem of attracting new players to the server is definitely lack of content. as an FAQ i deal with new players the most and most commonly people say "well what else is there to do?" and i am at a loss of what to say, i tell them about the various other activities, (which are few), and they have the general feeling "oh...okay *logoff*".

BlackSolider 03-08-2009 08:13 PM

Too true.

We need something to do in between events. Hopefully the card game will help fill the void, but that can't be the only thing. Hopefully the devs have a plan for something, but who knows.

MysticX2X 03-08-2009 08:52 PM

If only there were not 4 NPC's that were useful.

jacob_bald6225 03-08-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSolider (Post 1472356)
Too true.

We need something to do in between events. Hopefully the card game will help fill the void, but that can't be the only thing. Hopefully the devs have a plan for something, but who knows.

If only someone could go through design a simplistic card game AI and allow all NPC characters to play with certain difficulty factors on them.

Say everyone challenges the Tyhm NPC in the bank, then Tyhm's NPC would gain AI levels and his difficulty would rise and he would have a slight edge in drawing better cards/making little to no mistakes.

Then when you beat an NPC with relativley the same level as you or slightly higher you'd get "experience" based on the level disparity(Card Points?) that you could take and buy booster packs with.

BlackSolider 03-08-2009 11:48 PM

Pretty clever.

I assume its possible by checking numbers (if side=1, lay card w/ 3 next to it) and stuff like that. But a script to make it play an entire game like a human (conserving mp, playing it safe, etc) would be excessively tough. Or at least I think it might be. The card game script takes 21 pages in wordpad, though obviously most of it repeats (for the 9 spots).

If someone could do it w/in a reasonable amount of time, that'd be pretty sweet. But if this is possible...idk.

jacob_bald6225 03-08-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSolider (Post 1472414)
Pretty clever.

I assume its possible by checking numbers (if side=1, lay card w/ 3 next to it) and stuff like that. But a script to make it play an entire game like a human (conserving mp, playing it safe, etc) would be excessively tough. Or at least I think it might be. The card game script takes 21 pages in wordpad, though obviously most of it repeats (for the 9 spots).

If someone could do it w/in a reasonable amount of time, that'd be pretty sweet. But if this is possible...idk.

I'd think basically you could do it with play strategies like aggresive/defensive/conservative...

Aggresive-
Priority:
Look through the 9 spots, find where you can cause most damage--Is there a tie for damage caused? Use the card that has the least vulnerability on the exposed spots.

DarkCloud_PK 03-09-2009 12:51 AM

Maybe in the future, but for v1 no.
As glad said, the card game as it is, is pretty extensive scripting, 1.3K lines of code with just the table, 2.2K with all systems. For battling NPCs, that would be a ton more code on top of whats there already, plus modifying the existing code. Would set the game back realistically several months, provided full motivation through it to the end, and I put off all my 100 other things people want me to dev.

I can look into it for a v2 card release, however theres a lot of variables to consider, such as people farming points off NPCs and abusing something somehow. For now, players will be able to battle each other for card points, when someone is defeated, they will not be worth points, or diminshed points based on how long they were last defeated, for an indetermined amount of time.
Of course, an opposing player will be notfied about this players status of point worth before a game starts.

Bell 03-09-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terazel Tenjin (Post 1472223)
So just to clarify here. The next higher overriding authority to initiate a change in management for the server would be PWA. And that's not going to happen because PWA is acknowledging that everything is fine and dandy with the server, and that the current management is sufficient? Despite all of the player input stating otherwise?

Sure, it's not a democracy nor a tyranny since neither condition is stated in stone to be the status quo, but the facts have to be faced sooner or later. The problems are recognized and stated, the next step is remediation. What's the remediation? The answer from management has been too broad, and as stated by the current Manager himself, he's seeing the input here as a list of problems to remedy but it's a two-way street. Players should have their say and be let in on the overall plan for remediation so they know what to expect.

The biggest problem is that this isn't something that just cropped up.

I have never said everything is fine and dandy. I have just been around long enough to know that simply replacing the manager is not going to solve the problem. I have also listened to the players and read these forums. For many years actually, long before I was a PWA.

Many of you either individually or in groups have for the most part had an ulterior motive for your demands as to who should replace Storm and or Thor. Some of you in the past and present have even been perfectly willing to lie in order to attain those motives. Some of you are just sheep agreeing with what someone else wants so you can be included in the conversation. I honestly don't think that any of you understand how destructive a rash decision on a management change can be to a server.

I fully expect someone to now say that anything is better than what we have now but are you sure about that? Would Classic being non existent be preferable to what there is now? Would going invisible and spending the next 2 or 3 years also be preferable?

Maybe you should all rethink your motives, stop dwelling on the past and come up with some constructive suggestions that could truly turn Classic around. Rome wasn't built in a day and Classic won't be either. From what I've seen and been informed of. Those that actually have good suggestions, have been saying them privately so they don't become involved in the flame wars themselves.

-Ramirez- 03-09-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 1472431)
but are you sure about that?

Nobody can be sure about the future, obviously, but you're also assuming that removing the manager would be destructive. So this doesn't really point out anything.

Quote:

Would Classic being non existent be preferable to what there is now? Would going invisible and spending the next 2 or 3 years also be preferable?
Why would replacing the manager cause these things to happen immediately? If you didn't mean it as immediately, you must think Storm is doing something worthwhile to prevent the server from going in that direction in the future, which it seems the majority agrees isn't the case.

Quote:

come up with some constructive suggestions that could truly turn Classic around
I'd call getting rid of a manager that obviously quite a few have issues working for, constructive.

Quote:

Those that actually have good suggestions, have been saying them privately so they don't become involved in the flame wars themselves.
So you're saying you're just dismissing all of this thread as a "flame war" and not something that's informative, accurate in some cases, and reflective of player opinions? There are useful posts, it's not all garbage.

Just as a note, all of this was typed purely out of lack of understanding of things said, not out of anger or other emotions that most people ALWAYS assume drives everything.

Terazel Tenjin 03-09-2009 02:58 AM

Thanks for pointing some of what Bell said out, Kat. I am also confused as to why she started going off a dismissive tangent.

Quote:

I have never said everything is fine and dandy. I have just been around long enough to know that simply replacing the manager is not going to solve the problem. I have also listened to the players and read these forums. For many years actually, long before I was a PWA.

So what's the remediation? You've addressed that you've been around to recognize the problem. What can fix it, in your experienced opinion? Not being sarcastic, being serious here if you can imagine that.

Quote:

Many of you either individually or in groups have for the most part had an ulterior motive for your demands as to who should replace Storm and or Thor. Some of you in the past and present have even been perfectly willing to lie in order to attain those motives. Some of you are just sheep agreeing with what someone else wants so you can be included in the conversation. I honestly don't think that any of you understand how destructive a rash decision on a management change can be to a server.

Indeed some of you people are, and still are and still in place and still actively manipulating behind the proverbial curtain. But does that dismiss that there are issues to be addressed and fixed? What's the quickest way to resolve the current (and let's face it, it is) perils?

Quote:

I fully expect someone to now say that anything is better than what we have now but are you sure about that? Would Classic being non existent be preferable to what there is now? Would going invisible and spending the next 2 or 3 years also be preferable?

Where did you pull this speculation from? If you're referring to what I said earlier in this thread, I specifically stated that the potential is with the server itself. Classic in its root meaning is already gone, it's time to face the facts. The hypothesis of cleaning the slate and starting from scratch with the server would be akin to, say, jumpstarting a popular TV/movie franchise from the 80s (the specific word for it escapes me at the moment, but think Transformers for example).

Quote:

Maybe you should all rethink your motives, stop dwelling on the past and come up with some constructive suggestions that could truly turn Classic around. Rome wasn't built in a day and Classic won't be either. From what I've seen and been informed of. Those that actually have good suggestions, have been saying them privately so they don't become involved in the flame wars themselves.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but Classic also hasn't improved in dare I say close to half a decade. I don't see where you keep going off on motives and past and flame wars. It's a problem being addressed. Those that have good suggestions might want to speak up instead of keeping it private and hidden so that others may benefit from the flow of good ideas.

And also, the whole dwelling on the past thing is a big part of the problem. The server needs to draw in new people, not just merely retain what's left. I think you need to dial back on the tinfoil hat speculations, Bell, I don't think anybody's out to attack anyone here. Do try to be objective and contemplative. :)